VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    So I know have a pinnacel pctv pro hd stick hooked up and working through windows media center.

What I am looking for is a usb adapter that will read any remote control. Preferably the Logitech Harmony series (mine is a 520 model).

I don't need an ir blaster if that is just a range booster to work in another room. What I want is a remote sensor attachment that will read with numerous brands of universal remote controls. I have tried searching through newegg.com but I am not sure what section to look through.

I know cyberlink sells one for their own software for my bluray drive. However I want one that will work with media center. I am hoping to get a cheap 20.00usd usb adapter to work with my existing logitech remote.

Do they make such a beast? I don't really want to buy yet ANOTHER remote control. I just want to make the one I already have work on the pc (Vista Premium fyi).

Suggestions are welcome. Thank you.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just a thought, but if your older Harmony is similar to the newer models (configure hardware online and will learn from other remotes), then you can pretty much get anything that will work with your PC hardware. You can likely use the online tool to find which remotes are fully supported or just manually learn all of the needed controls.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks krispy kritter.

Actually this is my first harmony remote. And I dont' have a ir reader on the computer - thats the problem.

However I do have a logitech wireless keyboard and mouse. I have emailed logitechs support to see if I can use the receiver for the mouse and keyboard to read the remote.

Edit - I just checked my email and they say the keyboard/mouse uses an rf reciever but the harmony remote is a ir unit and the two won't work together.

Anyone have a list of ir adapters for pcs??
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Something like this? http://www.usbuirt.com/ I found a few similar, but you might have to dig a bit with Google.

I used a search for ' infrared usb receiver '.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks everyone. I found an alternative I had completely forgotten about.

My pc in the other room has the fusion hdtv gold t capture card on it. However I hardly use it any more and I never really used the remote that came with it. That was when it dawned on me that it had a usb receiver!!!

That was when I took it and hooked it up to my vista pc. I donwloaded the small 3mb setup file and I finally got it working this morning! Best thing is it has a profile to work with windows media center! I think I am finally all set. It also works with powerdvd so I can use it for my bluray movies.

Now all I need to do is see if I can set up powerdvd to work within windows media center. That way I would be able to use only one application for movies, music and pictures.

Thanks everyone. (fyi I don't even have the fusion hdtv card installed in my vista pc but the usb adapter works with the original remote). Now my next step is to try to get my logitech harmony remote to register a windows media center remote......
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Glad you got it working. I have a MyHD MDP-130 HDTV PCI Decoder card I'm using with my Vista HTPC. (Not Media Center, though) The only way I got it to work was in XP SP2 compatibility mode and the IR USB dongle refuses to work at all in any mode. I had given up on that completely. Maybe it is useful for something after all.

I never used the remote anyway, so not a big deal.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    well you could try the adapter in another usb port. Also did you get the latest drivers for it? Maybe they have updated vista drivers now.

Yes my fusion remote is working nicely now. Thanks everyone.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't checked the MyHD site lately. They may have updated the drivers by now. HDTV around here is minimal at present, so no real loss.
    Quote Quote