VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm sorry if this has already been covered. I did take a look through the forums, and didn't see anything either way...

I bought a new Sony HDTV last week, and was trying to figure out how to connect it best to my cheap sound receiver. I have a PS3, HD-DVR, and Xbox360 I would like to hook through HDMI into the TV (has 3 inputs for it). But I was wondering if the sound output from my TV will work. A friend told me there is possibly a problem with copyright management that won't let sound be output properly (either now at all, or not in surround sound) from my fiber optic output of the TV that has come in from an HDMI. Now to me this doesn't make sense, because the only other inputs for sound are the Red&Whites or cable coaxial, and seems like a waste of a fiberoptic out on the TV.

I ask this because my receiver only has one fiber optic in, and two coaxial (one for my DVD player and the other blank for now). If my TV will allow the fiber optic out into the receiver, then I would be set, otherwise I figure I will need to get another switch box just for fiber optic and a bunch more fiber optic cables.

Any input would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can speak for the 360 - your fiber optic out from the 360 should go directly to your receiver. Your hdmi will go to the tv input for video and sound. But to do digital surround from the 360 mute the tv and use the digital input on the receiver. I only have a component xbox 360 so I can't be 100% sure but that seems the best route from what I understand.

Same situation for your ps3 - assuming it has a seperate fiber optic output use that to go to your fiber optic in on the receiver and use the hdmi for video to the tv. Again mute the tv if you want digital surround for the ps3.

I can confirm 100% that this will be what you do for the high def dvr. I have a motorola high def dvr from comcast. I have the hdmi going to the tv. When I just want stereo throuhg the tv and not digital surround I use the tv volume. I have the high def dvr going from hdmi from the unit to the tv for the video and audio but the seperate fiber optic cable set tot he receiver for 5.1 audio.

PLease ask if you need clarification for any of this.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And that's exactly what I would want to do, but my stereo receiver only has one fiber optic in. So without a switchbox of some sort, a better receiver, or manually switching them each time, I can't connect them all at the same time.

But since I will be connecting all three through HDMI into the TV, and the TV has a fiber optic out, I wasn't sure I could just use the TV to be my switchbox, or if problems will arise from trying to do that.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I did some testing...

It looks like by hooking up the HDMI cable into the TV, and then the sound out of the TV to the receiver through a fiber optic cable, it switches it to Pro Logic mode instead of Dolby Digital if you hooked the fiber optic directly to the receiver.

I don't know if it's because of my TV switching it, or if it does it in general with all TV's.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think all hdtvs output the pure digital signal from a hdmi connection.

Since you only have one fiber optic in do what I did - I got a 3 port fiber optic switcher on amazon.com. It was like 20.00 or so. Works great. There are about three or four different models to choose from.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  6. I've got a Sony Bravia LCD with HDMI into it from the DVD player. I'm using a fiber optic cable out from the TV to my receiver with no problem. Although I can use ProLogic if I like, I'm getting the full DD 5.1 (or DTS).

Since your Sony has more than one HDMI port, you might try a different one. Mine only works with the HDMI 2.
    Quote Quote