VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I need some help converting ogm/mkv to avi. I also need the option to select which audio stream and subtitles to use in the conversion.

I have a bunch of anime that have japanese and english audio along with subititles, but I cant find any good software that will convert ogm/mkv to avi or another format and let me select the audio or subtitle streams properly.

The programs that I use to convert video are Nero Recode 2.10, WinAVI 8.0, and WinAVI iPod/PSP converter for iPod (also converts videos to mp4). Sadly Nero Recode doesnt open ogm or mkv, WinAVI 8.0 opens both but doesnt let you choose audio/subtitle streams and WinAVI iPod/PSP lets you open both and lets you choose audio streams but the subtitles disapear once the conversion is finished.

Does anyone know a good program that will convert ogm/mkv to avi or any format, and let you choose audio/subtitle streams? Or maybe I'm doing something wrong in WinAVI?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Give a try to Avi-Mux Gui and/or MKVtoolnix, to begin with.
    As for WinAVI, you should have already noticed that it
    does NOT have a good reputation here @ VideoHelp.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why is WinAVI so bad?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Midzuki
    Give a try to Avi-Mux Gui and/or MKVtoolnix, to begin with.
    As for WinAVI, you should have already noticed that it
    does NOT have a good reputation here @ VideoHelp.
    Also I have tried both programs you mentioned but AVI-Mux Gui doesn't work. When I try to drag and drop files, nothing happens. MKVtoolnix only converts to mkv right?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Can I ask why would you want to convert to avi?

mkvextractgui is included in the mkvtoolnix package

use mkvextractgui to extract video, audio, subtitle, chapters

from these you can re-encode to whatever you want, but you have to provide more specific information on the video codec, audio codec and subtitle format if you want farther instructions
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I have a bunch of anime that have japanese and english audio along with subititles, but I cant find any good software that will convert ogm/mkv to avi or another format and let me select the audio or subtitle streams properly.
    Well, both Avi-Mux and MKVtoolnix can do that. First step is extract the
    audio and the subtitles you want + the video stream. You can get either three
    standalone files or one single MKV/AVI container --- and this/these latter is what
    you'll feed your encoder/muxer with.

Why is WinAVI so bad?
    @ https://forum.videohelp.com/topic340648.html#1777015 , guns1inger said:

There is no good program that does them all. If you want quality, you need to use different programs that do particular jobs well. WinAVI is crap because it tries to do everything, and does not of it well. It also crashes a lot, and has not support to speak of from the company that takes your money.

You might try Handbreak or AVI Demux for a different range of skills, or even SUPER. SUPER has a wide range of skills, but like WinAVI it can be unstable and the quality isn't the best. However at least it's free.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh sorry, well I want to convert these ogm/mkv files to avi so that I can play them onmy Xbox 360. I need to encode these files with DivX/XviD and have a avi container.

http://blogs.msdn.com/xboxteam/archive/2007/11/30/december-2007-video-playback-faq.aspx That is pretty much what I can play on the 360.

I would also want to know if its possible to take these ogm/mkv files and convert them into something that the 5.5gen iPod can play.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, both Avi-Mux and MKVtoolnix can do that. First step is extract the
    audio and the subtitles you want + the video stream. You can get either three
    standalone files or one single MKV/AVI container --- and this/these latter is what
    you'll feed your encoder/muxer with.

Why is WinAVI so bad?
    @ https://forum.videohelp.com/topic340648.html#1777015 , guns1inger said:

There is no good program that does them all. If you want quality, you need to use different programs that do particular jobs well. WinAVI is crap because it tries to do everything, and does not of it well. It also crashes a lot, and has not support to speak of from the company that takes your money.

You might try Handbreak or AVI Demux for a different range of skills, or even SUPER. SUPER has a wide range of skills, but like WinAVI it can be unstable and the quality isn't the best. However at least it's free.
    Thanks for the info. Ok so in Mkvmerge Gui I select the ogm file I want. I select the audio, subititles, and video I want to keep and then hit the mux button. It creates a mkv file and when I try to play it the video is terribly choppy if you try to move the video slider it just doesnt play anything.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    1) Which software are you using for playing your OGMs/MKVs

2) Could you please post a screenshot from MKVmerge or Gspot ?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1) Which software are you using for playing your OGMs/MKVs

2) Could you please post a screenshot from MKVmerge or Gspot ?
    Well I have Kazaa Lite Mega Codec pack installed (latest version) and CCCP as well. So I am using media player classic to play the ogm/mkv files.

Here is a screenshot from MKVmerge:

http://picasaweb.google.com/tical2000t/MKVMerge/photo#5149849769120239698
    Quote Quote  
  11. The "choppiness" is probably from not having vorbis enabled in your ffdshow audio decoder configuration

(I doubt xbox supports vorbis anyhow, so you will have to convert audio to something else anyhow, probably mp3)

I don't have an xbox, so I don't know what subtitle formats they support, or if at all so you may have to hardcode them in.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    The "choppiness" is probably from not having vorbis enabled in your ffdshow audio decoder configuration

(I doubt xbox supports vorbis anyhow, so you will have to convert audio to something else anyhow, probably mp3)

I don't have an xbox, so I don't know what subtitle formats they support, or if at all so you may have to hardcode them in.
    The chopiness is both video and audio. When I wend to ffdshow settings vorbis was enabled.
    Quote Quote