VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Okay, i'm not sure if i'm in the right forum but i'll just explain my problem and see if i can get an answer, i have done so many different things and i can't get this to work which should be a simple thing.

i have a canon hv20 HD dv camcorder, i shot some footage, and transferred via firewire to my pc (windows xp)... i captured using adobe premiere pro cs3 (captures as .mpeg for some reason)...

I do all my editing and all, now, i want to export it as an avc file (h.264) that will be burned onto a dvd, but playable in a blu-ray player (i.e. ps3) How do i do that? what do i need to download/buy? I have tmpgenc 4.0 xpress and was following a guide but there was a part of the guide that would cause the program to crash each time i tried it, i could not get it to work, i've tried several different exporting options, including some adobe media encoder options, i'm beginning to lose hope

the reason i'm doing this is it just seems like this would be the most cost-effective way to give copies of whatever i shoot/edit without a great loss in quality... at least until blu-ray burners/discs become cheaper...

any thoughts?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The HV20 records HD in mpeg-2, which is why Premiere sees it as such. To get AVC output you have to convert it. I know HD-DVD format can be burned to DVD for playback, but I don't believe BluRay can. The PS3 might have certain extra capabilities for playback, but standard BluRay players can't playback what you are proposing to do.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. well, the burning and playing on ps3 is one step further than i have gotten so far. so how would i go about encoding the .mpeg file just to archive it on my computer without taking up so much space? i try to encode it into a quicktime .mov file but that ends up being bigger than the .mpeg i originally captured, i just want to be able to capture, encode, and archive, i'll worry about burning later on i guess...

side note: ive tried to capture via windows movie maker, but it keeps telling me no video device detected, does wmm not support hd camcorders or something?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No. WMM came a long well before HD cameras. The Vista version *might* support them.

Size is a function of running time X bitrate. Use a smaller bitrate, get a smaller file. Of course, the smaller the bitrate, the less space you have for data, so something has to give. You can reduce the resolution or accept a lower quality.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote