VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So, my crappy dvd player doesn't accept avi, so I converted the movie to mpeg. Right, picture came out just fine, but the sound was missing.

The audio codec on the burned dvd as well as the backup file on my harddrive is mpeg layer 3, so I suppose my dvd player loathes that particular codec with a burning passion.

The player is a Philips DVP520, if that's any help. I've read the instruction manual from cover to cover, but as far as I can see (which admittedly may not be very far, seeing as I'm a newbie at all this) there is no mention of any supported sound codecs.

It'd be such a hassle to start from scratch, so I'm hoping against hope that any of you computer wizards out there know of some program or voodoo that can convert to the audio demanded (my best guess would be MP3 or some such nonsense) by my stupid and ugly dvd player (either to the burned disc or the film copy on my harddrive) faster than you can say ... a word of some sort - though I guess that'd be pressing it a bit.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi klobb,

Welcome to the forums.

The DVD specification dictates that WAV, AC3 and (in PAL Land) MP2 are the only acceptable audio formats - hence why, even though you've an MPEG file it has MP3 audio in and so why you can't hear it.

It is do-able after you've authored the DVD to change the audio, but it is involved... If you're new to all this, you find you'll be quicker doing it from scratch.
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use FAVC or DVD Flick to convert your files and you will get video and audio that meets the DVD specification without having to worry about all the ins and outs.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    Use FAVC or DVD Flick to convert your files and you will get video and audio that meets the DVD specification without having to worry about all the ins and outs.
    I'm out of touch - both these are new to me. Do they re-encode the video or only do what needs to be done? Very handy if it's the latter...

P.S. Season's Greetings guns1inger - I hope you had a good'un and that 2008 is a good'un for you. Cracking weather eh? Looking forward to the 41C on NYE?
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by daamon
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    I'm out of touch - both these are new to me. Do they re-encode the video or only do what needs to be done? Very handy if it's the latter...

P.S. Season's Greetings guns1inger - I hope you had a good'un and that 2008 is a good'un for you. Cracking weather eh? Looking forward to the 41C on NYE?
    Both would be a 'from scratch' option, which is usually simpler than trying to fix a ****-up.

Heading around to a friend's place to spend the afternoon in the pool. It has been a hot few days, and aside from a very half-arsed change, looks to be a hot week. Not quite the White Christmas thing they sing about, is it.

A great New Year to you and yours
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, guys, though I couldn't in good conscience say that the ensuing process was without its ... ahh ... kinks, shall we say? (Or, more to the point: shrieking outbursts of frustration and pathetic attempts at violence.) No aspersions intended, of course - as always, we can chalk it all up to my feeble understanding of all things even remotely technological.
    Quote Quote