VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys,

I read on this man's website who copied from this website that there are ways to program your NTSC DVD Recorders to play PAL DVDs? Is this really possible?

Here is the link:
    http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_can_i_watch_pal_dvds_on_a_regular_ntsc_tv.html

I have a Toshiba DVD Recorder RDXS34 and a Panasonic DVD Recorder DMR-ES35V.

Or is there a DVD player you recommend that can play these DVDs and I can convert them through my recorders?

DJL
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A player can at times be made multi region with the remote. But I've yet to see a player that can be made multi TV system, if it's not from the start.
    The region protection code is a made up obstacle - different TV systems is a real technological issue.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You need to get a player that does TWO things. It needs to be able to play DVD's from all "regions"....and it needs to be able to convert between PAL and NTSC "on the fly".

You won't be able to record the output to a DVD Recorder however. Copy protections built in to the DVD will prevent it.

Oppo brand players are very popular in the US for doing such things. There are others but you will need to research what is available locally (or online) to you to determine if indeed they can do BOTH things listed above. A simple region hack is not a guarantee that you will be able to view the DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. LG and Philips are pretty popular with the all-region hacks. Both manufacturers generally make DVD players/recorders that can convert PAL to NTSC.

Don't forget to peruse https://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I just want to second hech54's post. While it certainly is not so stated in the original post, some posters are clever and hide their true intentions. If the original poster intends to record the output of PAL DVDs played on one DVD player into his DVD recorder, this won't work because of Macrovision.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK. Let me see if I can explain.

I had a Lite ON DVD Recorder which had no region code. I was able to plug it into the Toshiba DVD recorder and record the material from the PAL DVD to the Toshiba DVD without a problem. Is this possible with any DVD Recorder that is a no region code player? I guess that's what I"m looking for and hope that clarifies it better.

DJL
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    After you did your dub, was the DVD recorded on the Toshiba, PAL or NTSC system? That is could you play it on a standard NTSC DVD player hooked up to a NTSC only TV, or was it PAL, playable only on a PAL or multi system TV?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    After you did your dub, was the DVD recorded on the Toshiba, PAL or NTSC system? That is could you play it on a standard NTSC DVD player hooked up to a NTSC only TV, or was it PAL, playable only on a PAL or multi system TV?
    Yes, I was able to play it on a NTSC DVD player.
    Quote Quote