VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey guys.

I have a Spanish movie in VIDEO_TS format. I have the English subs for it in SRT format. I want to author a DVD with selectable subtitles. What is the easiest way to do this? Can it be done without reencoding? I hope so!

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Without reencoding: Yes.
    Without reauthoring: No.
    Basically, get the movie in mpg format, reauthor with an authoring app that supports subtitles (and .srt import).

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1/ Extract the main feature as single file VOB
    2/ Rename the .vob to .mpg
    3/ Use ffmpegX's Author tool to re-author with selectable subs
    4/ Hope that the timing on the subs syncs...
    Quote Quote  
  4. That worked just like you said, Case. Thanks again for the prompt and spot-on help. I owe you a six-pack.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Case, I tried this method to add subtitles, but saw the error message "The variable _videoinfo is not defined. (-2753)", and no authoring took place.

I had started with an avi file, which Toast 8 converted into an image for me. I mounted the image, used MTR in the way you described and changed the vob into a mpg file. However, the result was as shown above.

I had earlier tried to add the same .srt file to the avi I started with, using Filters/Load Subs with "VOB subtitles" checked, but when dragging it into ffmpegX, saw "Unrecognizable" in the "From" window, and the encoding process took only a couple of seconds, with no visible output file.

I wonder if the original avi file had some undefined variable that ffmpegX is looking for, and which is not present in either the avi or mpg form.

Do you have any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try Jubler first with the subtitles and movie. You can change the font size, color, timing etc... It's free and when you know it works and lined up you can save to many different formats that can be recognized if the original is not being recognized by your authoring program.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bluecrab347
    error message "The variable _videoinfo is not defined. (-2753)"
    I don't think I've seen that one before.

Originally Posted by bluecrab347
    I had started with an avi file, which Toast 8 converted into an image for me.
    When dragging it into ffmpegX, saw "Unrecognizable" in the "From" window
    Odd contrast between the two. Try to find out which codecs are used in the AVI, and go from there.
    Maybe QuickTime (Cmd-I) or VLC (Cmd-I) can tell more about the codecs?
    Maybe the AVI (-header) is 'broken' and has to be fixed first?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Dear Case!

I hope you can still help me. I did everythingh that you wrote (used terminal for joinign the vob file into one single file). And after that I "author" the mpg with the new subs. But now i have a little problem. The new (english) subs are working but they shown over the original subtitles in VLC. What can i do?

Please reply me quick if possible.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TilenH View Post
    The new subs are working but they shown over the original subtitles in VLC.
    I suppose that could happen if the original subtitles are hardcoded; i.e. part of the video. I think that's the only way for VLC to show both at the same time.
    Programs like iSubtitle and Submerge will use a somewhat dark band between the video and the new sub to make 'em stick out more. Not sure how these deal with VOB files, though.
    Quote Quote