VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I always thought Verbatim was a decent brand, but of the last 10 pack of DVD+R DL disc I bought 2 or 3 out of the 6 I've burned so far had write errors while attempting to burn with imgburn. I don't like burning coasters, especially since these damn things are still so expensive. So what should I be buying? Or is it my software/hardware? I'm using a Lite-On SOHW-1673S.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    are you using the latest version of IMGBURN? What firmware are you using with your LITEON dvd burner? You could also post this question in the LITEON FORUM at CDFreaks.com.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also, check what it says on the box of discs. There have been numerous complaints about Verbatim DLs that are made in India.
    Previously, they were manufactured in Singapore, and very few people have had problems with them, but ever since the India discs began coming out, the quality has plummeted
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Lawbringer
    Also, check what it says on the box of discs. There have been numerous complaints about Verbatim DLs that are made in India.
    Previously, they were manufactured in Singapore, and very few people have had problems with them, but ever since the India discs began coming out, the quality has plummeted
    There is no box. It's one of those spindles, and if there was any packaging, it's long gone.

and yes, I have the latest ImgBurn. I don't believe in firmware updates. The drive isn't that old, and by the time it is I'll probably have a new one anyway. Now if there's a firmware update to let me rip at 12-16x instead of the 4-8x I usually get, I'd love to know. I can't believe they're making 20x burners now, but you still can't read any goddamn faster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sephiroth666
    and yes, I have the latest ImgBurn. I don't believe in firmware updates. The drive isn't that old, and by the time it is I'll probably have a new one anyway. Now if there's a firmware update to let me rip at 12-16x instead of the 4-8x I usually get, I'd love to know. I can't believe they're making 20x burners now, but you still can't read any goddamn faster.
    Well if you don't believe in firmware updates then go ahead and trash your LITEON SOHW-1673S dvd burner. Firmware updates are provided for a reason. Some dvd burners will burn better with firmware updates depending on the media id of the disc. New dvd media is introduced into the market thus manufacturers of dvd burners will provide firmware updates to allow burning of the new dvd media.

Your dvd burner could also be failing. I suggested you check out the LITEON FORUM at Cdfreaks.com because they could shed some light on your problem. LITEON drives can rip faster from using hacked firmware provided by C0deKing. IMHO I've only used my 18x LITEON dvd burner to rip discs to my hard drive since I'm using a hacked firmware. I've never trusted their burning quality. You want great DL layer burns then buy a PIONEER 112/115 or the SATA versions of it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The hacked firmware for this drive on C0deKing's site makes no mention of speed increase. Doesn't really say what the hell it does.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The only drive's that I've owned that did not have available firmware updates were Matsushita (Panasonic). On all others, to achieve (or sometimes correct) a reliable burn: You have to update the firmware on occasion. Unless you're doing something special, or have a specific need - I wouldn't recommend a hacked firmware.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It is silly not to update firmware if it is an official firmware. They make them for a reason, to fix bugs and improve performance, often to improve new media compatibility. I would not use hacked firmware unless you trust it's quality, it would breach your drive warranty. Having said that, I have used Liggy & Dees and Dangerous Brothers modified firmware many time with excellent success particularly to remove riplock to improve read speed.
    I love children, girl children... about 16-40
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ricoman
    It is silly not to update firmware if it is an official firmware. They make them for a reason, to fix bugs and improve performance, often to improve new media compatibility. I would not use hacked firmware unless you trust it's quality, it would breach your drive warranty. Having said that, I have used Liggy & Dees and Dangerous Brothers modified firmware many time with excellent success particularly to remove riplock to improve read speed.
    riplock? Can someone point me to how to disable that on this LiteOn drive, assuming it has it? The last firmware I can find for my drive is like 2 years old, so it's not like it's keeping up with current media. If media complied with goddamn standards, nothing would need updated because it would all be the same. Why After all these years is recordable media still such shit?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What speed are you burning at? I refuse to burn DL media at anything above 2.4X. The current Verbatim DVD+R DL discs that I have from India aren't rated above 2.4X.

There are often minor changes to discs that force you to update the burner firmware. It's unfortunate, but that's how it is. If you think Verbatim is bad, I don't think you'd have any better luck with another brand of DL media. We get posts here all the time asking why DL discs won't burn correctly for all non-Verbatim discs.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, these discs are 4x rated, but I stick with 2.4x max speed in imgburn.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ricoman
    riplock? Can someone point me to how to disable that on this LiteOn drive, assuming it has it? The last firmware I can find for my drive is like 2 years old, so it's not like it's keeping up with current media. If media complied with goddamn standards, nothing would need updated because it would all be the same. Why After all these years is recordable media still such shit?
    If you're so disgusted that your LITEON dvd burner can't burn VERBATIM DL MEDIA then just buy a new drive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not sure about Liteon but a good place to start is the Liteon forum of Cdfreaks.com. You can also google The Dangerous Brothers, master firmware dudes.
    I love children, girl children... about 16-40
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

The media does meet the "standards". The firmware of the drive contains the burn strategy for each kind of media. If you have a drive that doesn't have a current firmware (over 2 years in the case of your drive), then it doesn't contain a write strategy for any new media in the last 2 years. Many burners will then use a default strategy which may or may not work.

Your best bet would be to just get a new model. The Samsung (SH203) and the Pioneer (112D) each burn Verbatim DL media without any issues.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    What speed are you burning at? I refuse to burn DL media at anything above 2.4X.

If you think Verbatim is bad, I don't think you'd have any better luck with another brand of DL media. We get posts here all the time asking why DL discs won't burn correctly for all non-Verbatim discs.

I believe the trick is to manually SET the burn speed at 2.4 or whatever the rated speed of the DL disc is and don't burn past 7.4 GB. I won't use DL discs rated higher than 2.4x unless their Verbatim. In the past when I didn't adhere to these simple rules my burner would produce discs that would 1.Hang on the layer transition or pixelate like crazy around that point or 2. Simply produce expensive coasters. Write errors were a certainty. This has worked with Singapore Verbatim and Riteks alike. I haven't tried the Indian verbatim discs yet, or the 8x Memorex Riteks but I can't find a plausible reason that they wouldn't work even though all the negative feedback has turned me off. I usually burn with TMPGenc DVD Author 3.0,DVDdecrypter, and occasionally Nero. Of the three Nero is the only burning software to give me trouble with DL.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ROBERT BLACK
    I usually burn with TMPGenc DVD Author 3.0,DVDdecrypter, and occasionally Nero. Of the three Nero is the only burning software to give me trouble with DL.
    Which is why IMGBURN should be used for DL burning.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Lawbringer
    There is no box. It's one of those spindles, and if there was any packaging, it's long gone.

LAME, you "don't believe in firmware updates" but you believe in what you see to judge that the media you had used are the troublemakers...
    LOL

"Reliable +R DL media?"

Verbatim DVD±R DL MIS, nothing else!
    Quote Quote