VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Well, it is dues to happen eventually....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071228/ap_on_hi_te/netscape_rip

I remembered when it was in the form of Mosiac. It was the only game in town for net browser (unless you count the old webcrawler.... )
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I remember about 6 years ago when coders absolutely refused to code for NS4.7 and dismissed it as a waste of time with less ~ 3% using.
    AOL used to use IE5 when I had them...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Man, do they seriously overestimate MSIE's market share.

But yes, this is a truly sad occasion, although I kind of feel the real tragedy is that nobody is really going to notice that much. *stands silent for a few minutes in honour of Netscape*
    "It's getting to the point now when I'm with you, I no longer want to have something stuck in my eye..."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    - Sad - but eventually, the pioneers have to start dropping off. Wonder where we'd be without Netscape? Surfing MSN?

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ?? Hard to even see it as a loss, thing is most of the development simply moved to Mozilla/Firefox..

Most anyone who was using it and has the slightest clue on a computer has been on Mozilla/Firefox instead for years. Only people I know still using it at all are AOL people, can't think of anyone else that it would affect much at all..
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    They still make Netscape? Last I read it was just rebranded from some other browser anyway but i don't know that for a fact.

Originally Posted by zoobie
    I remember about 6 years ago when coders absolutely refused to code for NS4.7 and dismissed it as a waste of time with less ~ 3% using.
    What's the point of making something work, I'll do it for IE and firefox. Not going to bend over backwards for others.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Nilfennasion
    Man, do they seriously overestimate MSIE's market share.
    Guess that depends on your audience but my coal forum is by far the most popular pages on my site and its being viewed by your "Average Joe" which is going to be what you'll find on most sites. I use FF myself and without those hits IE would probably break 80%.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Only 1% for Opera?? I would have thought there are more Opera users than that......
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Webster
    Only 1% for Opera?? I would have thought there are more Opera users than that......
    Your "Average Joe" thinks Opera is some fancy show that woman like which is excellent place to get a few ZZZ's providing they have ear plugs. Seriously if you go to a non technology site most of the people wouldn't know what it is. Even here those stats are pretty close to what I have, IE lost some to Firefox, opera gets 2.5%:

https://www.videohelp.com/stats
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using Firefox for a while now but it is sad in that there was a time when Netscape was "the shit" and to see it go from top-of-the-heap (even if it was the only real choice) to no-longer-made is a bit sad.

But things change ... such is life.

I'm happy with Firefox but some Linux distros also package Opera and Opera seems A-OK to me ... a bit faster even than Firefox ... but I rarely use it. One browser is enough for me.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Never really a fan, even in the early days. It always felt clunky and amateurish. Not a big fan of Opera either, although recent experiences with it have been limited to trying to get it to play nice inside a network protected by an ISA2004 firewall. Opera simply will not handshake with it, and requires python scripts and other silly things as a work around. If it can't do something that basic, I don't have time for it. FF will do me fine, and IE in a pinch.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote