VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think i only started having this problen since upgrading to media player 11
    not sure if im missing a codec but i find that when i try to play a video stream from popular websites such as msn the player opens & i can hear the sound without any problems but i dont get any picture i only get some colourful bars across the screen as if im missing a codec. Now some links have .asx or something if i can manage to get that link & open it from media player on my computer it works fine its just a problem when streaming directly from a webpage.

Below is a screenshot of what i get.. please help

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Appears to be a codec issue. Start by finding out what type of media you are trying to stream.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    not sure how i can find that out?

this is one of the sites im having trouble with http://www.maxnettv.tv/module_tvonlines/index.php?page=tvonline
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    wow so no one knows how to fix this problem????
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can't open that page from here. There are numerous methods to streaming media. Depending on the site, it could be wmv (playable in WMP), java (need java installed), flash (need flash installed), etc. etc.

Depending on the type of file that is having issues, will decide what you should be trying to fix. Assuming the above screenshot is WMP, you can try reinstalling the version of WMP that you are using. You can also download and install the latest wmv codecs from MS.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i installed some codes for WMP but its still the same

in the properties for the clip it says its using msmpeg4 codec

see this as an example if i go directly to http://www.wassoufband.com/site.htm it only plays the audio but the video comes up as the attached picture at the top if i copy the link & open it directly with WMP11 on my computer it plays fine (audio & video)
    http://www.wassoufband.com/video_clips/banat_akher_waket.m3u
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The center box plays a wmv1 encoded video with mp3 audio.

My first suggestion would be to dump WMP 11 and switch back to WMP 10. There are plenty of posts here in the forum of playback issues with WMP 11. Aside from that, you could be troubleshooting an IE or a WMP issue.

I would start by reinstalling IE7. If that doesn't fix, then proceed to reinstall WMP 11. The next step would be to download the latest WMV codec pack from MS.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks krispy kritter
    will try that
    Quote Quote