VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    For some reason, DVD Shrink no longer opens on my system. In task manager, it shows up as a process when I click the process tab ... but not as an application when I click the application tab. I did an uninstall (twice) and a reinstall (twice). And when I double click on the icon, nothing happens (except showing up as a process in task manager).

I'd appreciate any clues in solving this problem ... or any other software that does the same shrinkage procedure if the problem can't be solved.

Regards,
    J. Alec West
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is it minimized or in the quick start section at the bottom of your screen?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SCDVD
    Is it minimized or in the quick start section at the bottom of your screen?
    Not minimized. And it doesn't seem to matter whether I double click on the icon or click on the quickstart icon. Nothing happens ... except it getting listed in task manager as a process.

Is there any other utility besides DVDshrink that does shrinkage to DVD5 size? The only thing I can think of is Nero Recode. I'm downloading that now to give it a try.

Regards,
    J. Alec West
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    scan your computer for spyware. awhile ago someone posted a similar problem and after scanning for spyware and deleting it all went back to normal for dvdshrink.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budz
    scan your computer for spyware. awhile ago someone posted a similar problem and after scanning for spyware and deleting it all went back to normal for dvdshrink.
    Well (grin), whenever I have an issue with software not working or behaving strangely, I always run both a spyware scan and a virus scan immediately ... before doing anything else. But, to make sure, I ran new tests. The spyware scan found 3 tracking cookies (deleted) and the virus scan came up clean. Still, afterward, DVDshrink continued not to work.

But ...

I suspect the fix you mention will work for some people. I spent the better part of yesterday afternoon scouring the web looking for persons who had the same problem I had. And, I found a BUNCH of people who did ... in the Doom9 forum, the AfterDawn forum, the CDfreaks forum, etc., etc., etc. But what I also found is that for every person who found a solution that worked for them, others with the same problem said it DIDN'T work for them (sigh). I saw fixes that involved tweeking a registry value, backdating the computer's time clock to 2006, updating DirectX, etc. But these fixes didn't work for everyone.

FWIW, though, I did update my DirectX ... but that didn't work either (sigh). As to the cause of the problem, who knows. For every different fix, people in forums spoke of different potential causes. In my case, thinking back, there's only one major change I made to my system since the last time DVDshrink did work. To resolve certain ffdshow issues, I had to upgrade NetFramework 1.x to 2.x. So, in my particular case, I suspect that's the culprit ... though I'll bet that many 2.x users can still get DVDshrink to work.

In any case, I've decided to bite the bullet on this and, unless I find any gremlins in the demo version, will shortly be buying DVDfab Platinum ... which does the shrinkage I want and more. However, I do have a few questions about DVDfab that I've placed in another topic ... since they're particular to DVDfab:

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic342865.html

Thanks for your help, though. I really hate to abandon an elegant solution like DVDshrink. But, if it won't work, it won't work (sigh) ... and I have suspicions, based on what I've read, that this problem is the kind that many people spend many hours tearing their hair out over, hehe.

Regards,
    J. Alec West
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had the same problem maybe two weeks ago. DVDFab was also disabled. Ran a spyware scan, which found and fixed several things...still no go. I don't use any anti-virus software.....causes too many other problems.

Uninstalled shrink and DVDFab and did a MS update. Their malware removal tool found something and removed it. Re-installed both programs and both are back to normal.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SmokieStover
    I had the same problem maybe two weeks ago. DVDFab was also disabled. Ran a spyware scan, which found and fixed several things...still no go. I don't use any anti-virus software.....causes too many other problems.

Uninstalled shrink and DVDFab and did a MS update. Their malware removal tool found something and removed it. Re-installed both programs and both are back to normal.
    I just ran their malware removal tool and it came up empty. As suspected, I think the DVDshrink problem can come from many sources ... and while different fixes work for some people, they won't work for all. But thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't thought of using the tool until you mentioned it. At least I ruled out one more possibility. Still, for me at least, the mystery of the problem remains unsolved. DVDfab Platinum, however, works like a champ.

Regards,
    J. Alec West
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You can also try clearing out the Shrink Working Folder:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\DVD Shrink

Can't hurt right?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54
    You can also try clearing out the Shrink Working Folder:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\DVD Shrink

Can't hurt right?
    Hmmm ... for a second, I thought you might be on to something. I cleared out the folder as suggested. And, when I double-clicked the DVDshrink icon, a window opened asking me if I accepted the software terms. I clicked the YES button and the software promptly (sigh) did nothing ... except show up as a "process" in Windows Task Manager but not as an "application" (as before).

Oh, well. I'm open to any other suggestions, of course.

Regards,
    J. Alec West
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    DAMN....I'm at a loss.....I'm also FAR from being
    a computer expert...I'm afraid that was my best suggestion.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AlecWest where did you download your DVD SHRINK from? Maybe for some weird reason the dl wasn't authentic or something. I'm just wondering since it's strange. If you wanna try dl a older version like 3.0 beta 5 go here:

http://www.mrbass.org/dvdshrink/dvdshrinkold/

I used to like using that old version of DVD SHRINK.

last version can be downloaded from here:

http://www.mrbass.org/dvdshrink/
    Quote Quote  
  12. Also there are dozens of versions of dvdshrink so try another one.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The fact that there are so many different "answers" to this problem means that nobody knows for sure what is the real cause. You might download and use SpyBot Search & Destroy at
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
    It's the only anti-spyware tool I trust. I sure wouldn't put my faith in anything Microsoft provides.

If you can't DVDShrink to work for you, you might try using the free version of DVDRebuilder. It can be made to work with HC Encoder, which is an excellent quality freeware encoder. DVDRebuilder is not as quick as DVDShrink and doesn't offer some of DVDShrink's extra options, but if you just want to shrink DVDs it does work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'll add my support to spyware/malware argument, and agree with the previous poster on downloading/updating and doing a scan with SpyBot. I'll bet that you'll find a shitload of 'red' stuff.

Incidentally, Happy New guys, have fun tonight, go easy on the booze.
    Quote Quote  
  15. This sometimes happens to me when I leave the disc in for too long before using dvdshrink. I guess the disc starts to spin down and never starts back up until ejected and reinserted. This might not be your case, but I thought I would try and offer an idea. Does the disc have any scratches or dirt on it? Are there any flaws on the disc?
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dv8ted2
    Does the disc have any scratches or dirt on it? Are there any flaws on the disc?
    Whats that got to do with Shrink not starting up ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    How about un-installing then re-installing DVDShrink.....but in between run CrapCleaner? DVDShrink is one of the apps listed in CrapCleaner as I recall.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Does the disc have any scratches or dirt on it? Are there any flaws on the disc?
    Usually, I'd open DVDshrink before I even put a disk in. Now it just won't open.

In any case, this is what I did. I uninstalled DVDshrink 3.2 and checked to make sure the directory itself was also deleted (it was). Then I downloaded and ran Spybot. All it found were tracking cookies, all deleted. Then I downloaded and ran CrapCleaner. It found a bunch of temp files, all deleted. Then I reinstalled v3.2 ... but again, it just wouldn't open. So, I uninstalled it again and put v3.0 Beta5 on my desktop. It opened. But, even though I'm using DVDfab Platinum now to do shrinking, DVDshrink v3.0 does have one redeeming quality that I like ... namely the ability to save VOB files "without" separating them into 1GB chunks ... a method I use sometimes to create large files for transcoding with Canopus ProCoder Express.

So, 3.2 is still a no-go. But at least I restored some DVDshrink functionality with 3.0. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

P.S. Like I said earlier, everything was working just fine until I installed NetFramework 2.0. And in my particular case, I think that was the culprit. Installing it was the only major system change I've made recently ... and doing so gave me a LOT of ffdshow functionality I like. All things considered, I'm happy the way things turned out.

Regards,
    J. Alec West
    Quote Quote  
  19. edit
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried .Net 3.0?
    According to Microsoft's page, Windows 2000 Pro SP4 is not shown as "compatible" with 3.0.

In any case, here's a hoot (grin). DVDshrink 3.0 is still on my desktop. It's a standalone version that doesn't need to be "installed" per se. But since I had a little time to fritter away, I went to the DVDshrink old-version page and started backstepping versions, one at a time. None of the installed versions worked ... UNTIL ... I got to version 3.1.0. It installed and opened. So now, I actually have an "installed" version that works. I think I'll keep it (grin).

Edit - I put 3.1.0 through its paces and it works well ... so I've removed 3.0 from my computer. Of course, this brings up another mystery. What is it about 3.1.0 that allows it to open when every later version won't? The only thing different about the way 3.1.0 opens (than the way 3.2 did) is that the first screen to come up is an "ffdshow" screen, asking me if I want to use it or not. I choose "not" and 3.1.0 opens right away. This brings me back to my earlier suspicion that installing NetFramework 2.0 (to get more ffdshow fuctionality) is the culprit. The culprit might also be ffdshow itself.

Regards,
    J. Alec West
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MAJOR UPDATE TO THIS PROBLEM

WHOA! I found the fix to my DVDshrink 3.2 problem!!! And the fix was a lot simpler to implement than I thought. Others with a similar problem should try this procedure:

1) Download this standalone tweek tool to your desktop:

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/KLite_Codec_Tweak_Tool/1183386542/1

2) Open the tweek tool and temporarily disable "ffdshow."

3) Use DVDshrink 3.2.

4) After using DVDshrink 3.2, open the tweek tool again and re-enable "ffdshow."

I love experiments that work, hehe. It wasn't a NetFramework 2.0 issue after all. It was the "ffdshow" functionality add-ons I enabled that just happened to require NetFramework 2.0. So, courtesy of this tweek tool, I can still use the functionality ... temporarily disable it to use DVDshrink 3.2 ... then re-enable it after I'm done.

Regards,
    J. Alec West
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    J. Alec - thank god for this thread - I had the exact same problem, fortunately your last post helped.

I just reinstalled the K-Lite Mega codec pack and DVDShrink came back to life!

Cheers!

Additional Keywords: DVDShrink will not load / isn't loading / starting won't / will not start
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you open DVDShrink and it doesn't load/work but shows up as a process in your task manager, It is a Problem with ffdshow and you don't have to download anything else to fix it. Just click on start, programs, ffdshow and open the video decoder configuration and the audio decoder configuration. Click on the DirectShow control in the scroll box to the left to change the settings. Check the box "use ffdshow only in:" and click on edit. Now remove DVDShrink from the list by highlighting and deleting it. Click ok. Now, This is up to you but I checked the box "Show dialog when an unknown application tries to load ffdshow" This way you can decide if you want to use it for a program that is not in the list without having to add it. Now click apply and then ok to save the settings. Do the same for the audio settings. Now open DVDShrink. A dialog box may come up prior to DVDShrink loading, just decide what you want ffdshow to do and click ok. I initially checked "don't use ffdshow (just this once)" and DVDShrink came up with no problems. I then closed it and opened it again, this time checking "use ffdshow (just this once)" and it still worked, go figure. As long as you change the configuration settings you should be good. Happy Backuping.

Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Guys,
    I can't figure this thing out. I have tried everything in this tread and I still can't get DVD Shrink to load as a program. It loads as a process and takes CPU usage up 50%. When I end the process, CPU usage goes back down. This is a new laptop with Vista Home Premium SP1. I am at a loss. If I wasn't already bald, I would have pulled my hair out.

smwoodcrafts
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No one has mentioned the Data Execution Prevention issue that DVDShrink has with Windows XP and Server 2003, (Vista, etc.).

If DVDShrink is not included in the exceptions it simply will not start.

If you are still having this problem try this:

1) Start / Control Panel / System / Advanced
    2) In the Performance section click on Settings
    3) Select the Data Execution Prevention tab
    4) Click Add and browse to the DVD Shrink 3.2-exe file (Click Open)
    5) Click OK, and again.

Just another solution for the same issue, I hope it helps.
    Steven Huddleston
    The Kongaloid Website
    Quote Quote  
  26. Question: (To the user who found FFDShow was the problem) just as an experiment, if you delete FFDshow, can you then use DVDShrink?
    Also, I never added DVDFab to my Data Execution Prevention (see above post) , but I was surprised to see it installed there. (See screenshot, I have DVDFab installed on my computer)

Quote Quote  
  27. I'll be darned, I had a look and DVDFab was there in my DEP list. And the checkbox was ticked.

Now, I can't remember the last time I used Fab (old freeware version), but huh?

Anyway, I like and use ffdshow, but it's always been somewhat squirrely for me. Once in a while I'll need to re-install it or a dependent program. [shrugs]
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  28. FFDShow will be made unusable when you un-install certain other programs. See a previous post of mine that talks about this:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic373565.html
    Re-installing FFDShow should solve the problem
    Quote Quote  
  29. DVDFab automatically adds itself to DEP exemption, the maker said it's so PathPlayer works properly.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by jimdagys
    FFDShow will be made unusable when you un-install certain other programs.
    Yeah, I encountered that when trying out AVCHDCoder and ClownBD. I had a go with them and uninstalled, then BDRB stopped working, (fail, retry, abort, etc.). Re-installing ffdshow and Haali fixed it. But it's always been a bit touchy on my computers, right back to early versions. So if something gets buggered, it's the first thing I suspect. Don't want to overstate it though, it only stuffs up infrequently and is not a real problem.

And thanks for the explanation about DVDFab and DEP, Moviegeek.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote