VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    What is a good graphics card that can handle MOST new computer games.

I have just bought a load an was extremely disappointed to get an error report when i go to run it for example Colin Mcrae Dirt. Need for speed pro street is just awful i cant see anything apart from blocks.

So whats the best graphics card out there for these new pc games??

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What type of graphics card slot do you have? PCI-E or AGP.

For PCI-E

- A good card will be the 8600gt or 8600gts, the GT is priced at $140 and the gts is priced at $300, these cards will play most games fine.

- The best card is the Nvidia 8800 Ultra, followed by the 8800 GTX, these are priced at $700+, however if you want to get something nearly as powerful as the GTX, you should consider buying an 8800GT, which is priced at $400, It is a very hot seller at the moment because of the performance it offers for such a low price.

For AGP

- The Nvidia 7600gt for $200 and will play most games fine.
    - The best is the Radeon X1950 Pro, but I think it has been discontinued a while ago.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well thank u very much.

I think that maybe you could help me out here actually.

Very disappointed with this game i got 'Colin Mcrae - Dirt' Installs fine when i go to run it it comes up with an error report. I can only assume its a graphics card issue. I have a Geforce MX-440 card its like 4 years old.

Even on my sisters pc i get to the start (goes a little bit further) then just closes to the windows desktop and i get an error report.

What could cause this? Just the graphics card im hoping.

Cheers m8.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It looks like your computer's may not meet the minimum system requirements to play the game.

Minimum:
    Windows XP
    Pentium 4 @ 3.0 GHz or Athlon 64 3000+
    1 GB RAM, Graphics Card: GeForce 6800 / Radeon X1300 or above
    DirectX Compatible Sound Card
    Recommended:
    Windows XP/Vista
    Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.66 GHz or Athlon X2 3800+
    2 GB RAM
    Graphics Card: GeForce 8800 or Radeon X1950
    Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Sound Card

As you have a MX-440 it looks like you have an AGP Slot, so you'll have to find yourself a 7600gt or X1950 Pro, which will be highly priced compared to the PCI-E Versions. This looks like a very demanding game, so I suggest you get a whole new system instead of just buying a graphics card, because in the log run, you will end up getting a new computer, and if you buy an AGP card, you cannot put it in your new system which will have a PCI-E slot.

I suggest you get a new computer, or get a graphics card such as the Nvidia 7600gt AGP or Radeon X1950 Pro AGP,
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    8800gt is priced at around $260 and 8860gts is about $175,get the 8800gt if you upgrade your system to pci-e,its way better than the 8600gts for games.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The 8800GT is Priced around $400 AUD.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Watch on Fatwallet in Hot Deals forum for a deal.

8600GT should be $80 or 100.
    8600GTS $130-150 or so.
    8800GT can be had for $209 or so now and then.

Once in a while there is a super deal, like the X1950 Pro for $80. But they sell out extremely fast once posted, so hard to get in on the deals like that..
    Quote Quote  
  8. since your MB is built with an AGP slot upgrading to PCI-E will cost you a lot

new MB
    new Videocard
    new memory (DDR2)
    new CPU
    new power supply

so we are talking about a new pc here

this what u can buy

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2000380048+1069609639+1067...Force+7+series
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If your going to keep the system you've got, probably the best AGP card is going to be one of these, the xfx nvidia 7950GT 512 DDR AGP, but there not cheap!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200185942098&ssPageName=MERCOSI_...ype=osi_widget

You will find them elsewhere just google.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A lot of folks here keep pointing you to the BEST and most expensive cards. If you aren't an avid gamer, and don't want to spend all that money, you don't need to. There are many options out there. Look at the Geforce 7900 and even the 7800 line of cards. For ATI, look at the Radeon 1800 and 1900 series. Even the Radeon 1650 pro series are decent cards, and far better than what you have. Hell, I'm currently playing BIOSHOCK on my Dell with a GEFORCE 6800 ULTRA, at the high settings, and I haven't experienced any problems at all. I have no doubt that it doesn't have the high framerates and pop that better cards could produce. If you had PCI-E, I would recommend the Radeon HD 3750, due to it's price/performance ratio. If you think you might become more interested in gaming, instead of spending $100.00 now, and finding out that you aren't happy with your upgrade, consider watching for a deal on a new pc with PCI-E. They have been selling HP's and Dells off and on for the past month, for $499.00, with a 19 - 22" LCD, core 2 duo processors, and PCI-E slots.
    Rob
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by harley2ride
    A lot of folks here keep pointing you to the BEST and most expensive cards. If you aren't an avid gamer, and don't want to spend all that money, you don't need to. There are many options out there. Look at the Geforce 7900 and even the 7800 line of cards. For ATI, look at the Radeon 1800 and 1900 series. Even the Radeon 1650 pro series are decent cards, and far better than what you have. Hell, I'm currently playing BIOSHOCK on my Dell with a GEFORCE 6800 ULTRA, at the high settings, and I haven't experienced any problems at all. I have no doubt that it doesn't have the high framerates and pop that better cards could produce. If you had PCI-E, I would recommend the Radeon HD 3750, due to it's price/performance ratio. If you think you might become more interested in gaming, instead of spending $100.00 now, and finding out that you aren't happy with your upgrade, consider watching for a deal on a new pc with PCI-E. They have been selling HP's and Dells off and on for the past month, for $499.00, with a 19 - 22" LCD, core 2 duo processors, and PCI-E slots.
    He did actually ask for the BEST graphics card out there in his original post!

$499.00 with 19-22" LCD, core 2 duo processor, and PCI-E slots not in Australia,mate!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a 8600GT - it handles everything I throw at it.

If I need to upgrade, I'll get another one and link it via SLI - should get GTS performance.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote