VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Can anyone tell me how I can convert saved Epson images ec3 to Canon CD-LabelPrint?. I have a bunch of CD/DVD labels that I made using Epson print that I need. I now own a Canon 4500 for printing on disc after my epson broke down.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know this sounds stupid but have you tried using Epson CD Print to print on the Canon.
    Obviously you'll need to use the Manual Print option and then use the standard Print Dialog to set up the options from the Canon rather than the default Epson.

You should get something but there may be an issue with positioning and I don't know if CD Print has any options to adjust the margins.

M
    Quote Quote  
  3. The Epson CD print software is very limited in the positioning adjustments that can be made. Unless the tray for the Canon printer is in nearly the same position, I don't think you'll be able to use your existing ec3 templates.

When I switched to my HP D5160 I had to abandon the Epson software because the tray is on the opposite side of the carriage. I tried using it and just capturing a screen shot of the finished label, but the resolution from the screen shot was so low that it doesn't print out well.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  4. IKnowNothing, Yes, I tried loading CD Print and print with the Canon but as gadgetguy said it won't print correctly. The Canon will print on a corner of the disc.

gadgetguy, that is what happened. The tray is located very close to the same position but no go. I was thinking if taking a screen caption of the disc's but worried about the resolution as you pointed out. I might just go buy another Epson printer and use it strictly for printing disc's I have on the Epson ec3 format.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Might try printing them on paper, scan and edit and crop to 4.75" SQ. Save the results. When you open your canon import the saved file and then print it. I did this with my new HP D5360.
    Big Guy
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Using labels on DVDs often makes them not play.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hitting the print screen button then cropping the image works great if all else fails.
    much faster than scanning.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would recommend spending $20 on the latest version of SureThing's cd/dvd labeling software. It supports all cd/dvd printers. It supports cd/dvd labels, prints directly to disc, lightscribe, case inserts etc.

Why lock yourself in to one manufacturer. Epson's software kind of sucks anyway.
    Matters of great concern should be taken lightly.
    Matters of small concern should be taken seriously.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Ripper64
    Can anyone tell me how I can convert saved Epson images ec3 to Canon CD-LabelPrint?. I have a bunch of CD/DVD labels that I made using Epson print that I need. I now own a Canon 4500 for printing on disc after my epson broke down.
    I ran into the exact same problem. I found no good solution. However I saved most of my stuff to tiff files before importing into Epson. I now only use Photoshop, and only save one file as a PSD
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I, too, only use Photoshop to print to either my Epson or my Canon. Once a template is set up, it is very easy to create CD/DVD labels (printable media) or case inserts. I did try the Epson software that came with the printer and I even got acceptable printing, but the output from Photoshop far exceeds the Epson in print quality.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The Photoshop idea is intriguing since I have the Adobe CS4 Master Collection. (Never thought of it actually.) How does using Photoshop hold up process wise in a small sized production environment. Can you rattle off cd/dvd setups as fast as with Epson's software or SureThing? How long does one dvd template and accompanying case inserts take to setup given 3 or 4 blended images, titles, dvd logos, etc?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Once I have my images, fonts and extras to add to my desired label, it will take only as long as you need to adjust to your satisfaction.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by slacker
    The Photoshop idea is intriguing since I have the Adobe CS4 Master Collection. (Never thought of it actually.) How does using Photoshop hold up process wise in a small sized production environment. Can you rattle off cd/dvd setups as fast as with Epson's software or SureThing? How long does one dvd template and accompanying case inserts take to setup given 3 or 4 blended images, titles, dvd logos, etc?
    Those are more "How do I use Photoshop" questions. The final out put is the same for all 3 programs "you hit print" whether it be one copy or 100

The are MANY MANY tutorials on Photoshop across the internet. There are also some basic DVD templates in the sticky in this forum

However for basic manuplation of images, I found Epson's software far easier than Photoshop. (ie. dragging the corners of an image to fit the print area in Epson software)
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think you misunderstood. For me Photoshop wouldn't stand up as a viable option if it took, say, 5-10 longer to generate a finished dvd. If someone already has experience doing this repetitively I would like to know how long it takes on average to determine whether it is worth looking into.

My experience says Photoshop would be far too inefficient to be used as anything other than an awesome pre-stage image manipulator. But I've been wrong before.

I think of SureThing as a cd/dvd labeling project container and manager.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you have Adobe Acrobat (full version), you can select "Acrobat PDF Writer" as your "printer" and print, creating a PDF file in the best possible quality.

You can manipulate this in programs like Adobe Illustrator, CorelDraw.

I'd think that once you have a correctly positioned template, you could print from any application.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by slacker
    I think you misunderstood. For me Photoshop wouldn't stand up as a viable option if it took, say, 5-10 longer to generate a finished dvd. If someone already has experience doing this repetitively I would like to know how long it takes on average to determine whether it is worth looking into.
    I don't understand your question. What do you mean by "generate a finished DVD (sic)"? You CAN take 5-10 times longer to create your DVD, because Photoshop gives you so many more options and capabilities than the Epson software. However, if you only want "Epson" quality, PS can give you that in the same amount of time.

If someone already has experience doing this repetitively I would like to know how long it takes on average to determine whether it is worth looking into.
    Once I have the basic template the way I want it, I can be printing one disc while I am queuing up the next.

My experience says Photoshop would be far too inefficient to be used as anything other than an awesome pre-stage image manipulator. But I've been wrong before.
    I think that you can put a chalk mark in the "I've been wrong" column on this one.

With PS's layering and multiple filters, you can (and do) get outstanding results.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Deleted
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SLK001

I produce a fairly large number of dvds per year. My schedule is such that I need to produce the best quality dvds (both content and presentation) EFFICIENTLY, i.e. LEAST amount of time.

I can understand using Photoshop or GIMP or Paintshop Pro or whatever to optimize the images used as backgrounds and such on cds/dvds and case inserts. CD/DVD labeling software (Epson, Canon, SureThing) was NOT designed to replace more advanced photo editors or image manipulators. I process the images from my Nikon d300 using Photoshop and GIMP exclusively.

However, I would never think of using Photoshop to produce the entire surface of the cd/dvd as I would never kill a spider with a shotgun. Overkill. From my experience labeling software is much more portable, flexible and efficient at managing all of the objects which make up the surface of a cd/dvd, and ultimately printing that dvd.

BUT, I am open-minded and willing to look at the idea of using Photoshop exclusively if someone has an auditable process that I can understand and place side by side the one that I am now using, which is to finalize any images in GIMP and Photoshop, but handle all other labeling tasks in SureThing.

I bounce around testing and using different software all time. Currently I use Vegas Pro and Premiere Pro for video, and GIMP and Photoshop for still images.

Show me the way!

Mark
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by slacker
    However, I would never think of using Photoshop to produce the entire surface of the cd/dvd as I would never kill a spider with a shotgun. Overkill. From my experience labeling software is much more portable, flexible and efficient at managing all of the objects which make up the surface of a cd/dvd, and ultimately printing that dvd.
    How did you come that that conclusion?
    Labeling software is just a rudimentary photo editor.
    It is also proprietary in nature.

For the beginner Photoshop has a steep learning curve, but once you learn the basics and the idea of layers, it is a lot more flexible, efficient and portable.....Hands down.

In your case, using your own art work, it would be even better than a labeling program. The only way I can see a labeling program would be better, would be if you're using cdcovers or the original scanned image of the DVD or cover as your art work…

Templates are tedious to create. However once you have a template, life is easy. That is one reason why I uploaded my templates I tried all the major labeling software program, and found I still did everything in Photoshop first, so why not just print from it to?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    stiltman,

I'M GOING TO GIVE IT A SHOT!

Mark
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by slacker
    stiltman,

I'M GOING TO GIVE IT A SHOT!

Mark
    OK, GOOD LUCK!

Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by slacker View Post
    I would recommend spending $20 on the latest version of SureThing's cd/dvd labeling software. It supports all cd/dvd printers. It supports cd/dvd labels, prints directly to disc, lightscribe, case inserts etc.

Why lock yourself in to one manufacturer. Epson's software kind of sucks anyway.
    well epsons software is efficient and brain dead easy. we do no EDITING in epson software. I do it all in photoshop and save the jpg. then we just DRAG the jpg into the epson software and hit print. Very easy. always works.

I am running into the same problem as the OP though. How do I get my images OUT Of the EC3 file. I know its a bitmap (file size tells me that) but how can I digitally extract it. I have over 10,000 files done this way (ec3 before I switched to jpg) ANY method besides extraction (scanning printing etc..) just won't work it would be easier to just rescan the original but I am trying to AVOID doing that as it would take a small eternity
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Printing as PDF is really the only way. There are some free PDF print progams like CutePDF or PrimoPDF, and there are some free programs to convert PDF to .jpg, bmp or other image formats. Better than rescanning or screenshots, at least.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Has anyone tried KEEPING Epson PrintCD on the machine?

Open the template file, select all - then copy and paste into the Canon software.

Align everything, then save it as the template for your label.

If all aligns in the Canon software, you should be good.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I still have it. It doesn't work. First of all, backgrounds are not selected even if you Select All, and anyway when you get into the Canon program, nothing is pastable - Paste is grayed out.

The only solution, besides the PDF workaround, seems to be to keep buying Epson printers - which is exactly what I think Epson wants us to do.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Only problem with that is that Epson doesn't produce many machines that print to disc anymore. Ran into that recently trying to find a replacement for a friend's Epson R200. Canon has way more machines that do discs than Epson. At least now...
    Quote Quote  
  27. Found quite a good solution:
    I print the ec3 or ec4 from the Epson software using the "manual print" button and directing the output to a jpg file. This can be done e.g. by installing the Image Printer software (http://sourceforge.net/projects/imageprinter/).
    I paste the resulting jpg onto a new LabelPrint file, adjust the dimension and position a little, and there it is! After doing it a few times, it takes about 1 minute.
    Viewed on LabelPrint the result looks rather grainy, but the printed label is a nice surprise: hardly distinguishable from the original!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Failed to install on Win7 x64.

Failed to install on Vista x64.

YMMV
    Quote Quote  
  29. Sorry to hear that I have XP. Did you search for alternatives to Image Printer?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There's this one, but it's only a 30-day trial: http://www.start64.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2436&Ite mid=72 .

There's this "free" one but when you start to install it, only then does the fine print tell you it's spamware:
    Why is this free?
    After clicking "Accept" you will be offered additional useful, quality software provided by our reputable partners. Your support of these software offers allows us to provide you with Free access to our software. All offers we present are 100% optional.
    Still searching...
    Quote Quote