VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I need to connect to the internet in Safe Mode to perform some tests in my PC. So I reboot into "Safe Mode with Networking" pressing the F8 key.BUt once the PC boots into Safe Mode with Networking, when I try to connect to the Internet using the connection icon in my desktop nothing happens, it's unable to connect. I rebooted again just to check if there was any other Networking option in the F8 boot menu, but no, the only one is "Safe Mode with Networking". Any suggestion? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    This from: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316434

Note You cannot use Safe mode with networking support when you use a modem or a PC Card connection to a network because modem drivers and PC Card drivers do not load in Safe mode or in Safe mode with networking support.
    That might be the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have an ADSL modem connected to the PCI network card. The modem does not require any drivers, only the network card, but hose should be loaded with Windows in "Safe Mode with Networking", right? Or "PC card" refers to the NIC?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Correct, that should have worked. I have cable, but I can connect to the internet in 'Safe Mode with Networking'. And my PCI network card is a add on.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You shouldn't need to do anything but open a browser window. I don't know what the "connection icon in my desktop" is referring to.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter
    You shouldn't need to do anything but open a browser window. I don't know what the "connection icon in my desktop" is referring to.
    That's what I did, I opened IE, typed a URL but no connection. The connection icon in my desktop refers to a shortcut to the ADSL connection. Whenever I want to connect to the internet I click on it and that starts the ADSL connection enabling me to browse the web, email, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sometimes IE can be a little weird with connections. Try Firefox and see if you can connect with it. Another check - Does your email client work when you're in safe mode?
    Quote Quote  
  8. You need to troubleshoot this at a more fundamental level. The first thing to find out is if you have a connection to your ADSL modem. I'm assuming you have things configured so that the modem provides your PC with an address.

Go to the Start menu, select Run and, in the box that appears, type cmd followed by Enter. You should see a command prompt window.

At the prompt, type ipconfig followed by Enter.

You should see something like this on your screen:

Code:
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\John>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
       IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.5
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

C:\Users\John>
    Mine is from Vista so looks a bit different (and I've removed some Vista-only bits).

The key parts to look at are the IP Address and the Default Gateway. The latter should be the address of your modem. Both addresses should usually be of the form 192.168.x.x - if your address is shown as 169.x.x.x then you haven't got a connection and Windows assigned its own address to your network card.

Assuming you have a 192.168.x.x type of address, type this:

ping 192.168.a.b

where a and b are the numbers for your modem (the gateway address). In my case, I would enter 192.168.2.1 and get the following:

Code:
    C:\Users\John>ping 192.168.2.1

Pinging 192.168.2.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=254
    Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=254

Ping statistics for 192.168.2.1:
        Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 1ms, Average = 0ms

C:\Users\John>
    If you get successful results (Reply from <address>: bytes = etc etc) then you have a proper connection with the modem.

The next thing is to see if IE can open the modem's configuration page (most have them).

Open IE, ignore its messages. In the address bar type http://192.168.a.b where, as before, the a and b are for your modem.

If you successfully get a page then you have a valid web connection. The problem then becomes working out why IE is configuring itself to get beyond the modem.

Note, if you have a valid address but the ping fails, it may be that your PC's firewall is blocking everything when in safe mode.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by alegator
    Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter
    That's what I did, I opened IE, typed a URL but no connection. The connection icon in my desktop refers to a shortcut to the ADSL connection. Whenever I want to connect to the internet I click on it and that starts the ADSL connection enabling me to browse the web, email, etc.
    I guess you do not have a router, and that you have a PPPoE connection directly to your DSL modem.
    The PPPoE drivers are apparently not loaded in safe mode.

For several reasons, a router is useful, even if you only have one PC. It usually has an effective firewall, and handles the PPPoE connection, reducing overhead on your PC. They're pretty cheap now, and you can get a WiFi router for about the same price if you have a laptop or other portable device.
    Quote Quote  
  10. So I tried what you guys suggested and my internet is still not working in safe mode with networking. Im trying to get a virus off my computer and i cant do that if the steps requiring the internet wont let me connect to the internet. I need some help please. @Johnny Malaria: I did the IP Configuration but mine says Media Disconnected. I dont know what to do now to get the internet.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Vampchik7 View Post
    Im trying to get a virus off my computer and i cant do that if the steps requiring the internet wont let me connect to the internet.
    You dont need internet to remove virus
    what you trying to do?
    what you run in safe mode?
    Quote Quote