VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a samsung 745 and I am trying to watch anime on it with japanese subs but only the first line show, the second is cut off. The remotes has a button called "ez view" which I can set to vertical, but it doesn't really help. It works on my pc but i don't really want to watch them on it. Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Beat the stupid anime fansubbers repeatedly over their heads with their keyboards until they grasp the concept of safe area?
    Only other alternative is to reencode, and put a black border around. Not nearly as satisfying.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I think this is actually a function of your TV rather than the DVD player. A few years ago, there were a few DVD players sold that had an "underscan" function, but very few DVD players sold today have that feature. It works on your PC because PCs don't overscan. TVs overscan because sometimes there is garbage in the video TV signal on the borders, so they just automatically chop it off so that Joe Average Numbskull American (I'm American, so I'm allowed to say that) doesn't flip out and think something is wrong or broken on his TV. It would be nice if TVs came with an option that allowed you to turn this off at will or if DVD players would allow you to underscan. I know of no solution to your problem.

Perhaps a few will post here about DVD players that underscan. I remember we had a discussion about this a year or more ago and some guy posted that his player could do this, but there was no evidence to support this, so be careful if someone says that "player X can do this". I'd strongly advise verifying it through another source. I had the strong impression that this guy was confusing another feature on his player with underscan.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks all for replying. one question though. do any of you know if the ps2 console willl fix this problem. I don't have on but may buy one. Someone stated in another forum that their overscan issues are gone when playing dvd's on the xbox. So is it the same for the ps2?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Shouldn't make any difference. As noted above, overscan is a function of the TV, NOT the player.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote