VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. sorry if i am in the wrong section . anyways i have a problem i have a family video of my brothers child hood i cant seem to play it nor convert it . its actually a wmv file i tried Gspot software but it came up with the Codec Status Undetermined plus showed me that i need a wmv3 codec so i downloaded and installed wmv3 codec but still gspot gives me the same Codec Status Undetermined . although i have klite ,media player and vlc player installed .i cant seem to understand the problem . hoping for some help thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like the file is corrupt and WMP should be able to open and play it. What is the source of the file?

Assuming you are using the latest version of Gspot and it can't provide all of the file details, I would suspect a corrupt file.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not sure GSpot handles WMVs properly, though. (I'm not on a system with GSpot and a WMV or two handy to test, at the moment, unfortunately.) You might also try running it through MediaInfo.

Assuming the WMV isn't corrupt, Vista's Windows Media Player should be able to play it without problem. The fact that you have K-Lite installed does raise a bit of concern, though - it could possibly have caused interference/problems with the Windows Media codecs already on the system.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A GSpot screenshot would be nice.

If it is VC-1 then you'll need to download the latest release of Ffdshow and choose the libacodec for both video decoder and VFW configuration under VC-1 (or install WMP11 I think).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The OP's using Vista, which comes with WMP 11 installed.

I'm on the Vista system, now, myself, and I just ran a couple of WMVs through GSpot... both came up with "Codec Status Undetermined" for both audio and video codecs (different on both files) even though they play without any problems on WMP (which I don't use), or Media Player Classic (with ffdshow installed as well).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ooops! I should've checked before I posted
    I just ran a couple of WMVs through GSpot... both came up with "Codec Status Undetermined" for both audio and video codecs
    Yea, all my WMV files show "Codec Status Undetermined" in GSpot.

I have no experience with Vista or WMP11 so I can't be any help here but the mention of k-lite codec pack doesn't sound good.

After installing the latest Ffdshow to open and edit VC-1 files, I tried playing regular wmv files on the internet and MPC would not play them anymore unless I set libacodec to play them. I went back into decoder settings and set wmv7,8 and 9 to disabled and they now play without the help of Ffdshow.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ai Haibara

I'm on the Vista system, now, myself, and I just ran a couple of WMVs through GSpot... both came up with "Codec Status Undetermined" for both audio and video codecs (different on both files) even though they play without any problems on WMP (which I don't use), or Media Player Classic (with ffdshow installed as well).
    Is that using Gspot v2.70a? The last few updates had fixes for Vista.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, it's 2.70a.

Oh, I haven't had any problems using it under Vista, really. Or on Win98. It's probably something to do with the WMV/ASF format more than a system problem, but I don't have any WMVs available on the Win98 system I'm on now to see if it does the same thing. :/
    Quote Quote