VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I'm becoming a little dated in my knowledge of RAM. Need some help.

My laptop has DDR2, PC2-5300 (333Mhz), dual channel, non-ECC RAM.
    I've got two slots, currently filled with 512MB each (identical chips, yes).

I want to make it 2GB.

I have a feeling this is stupid, but have to ask...
    Can I just walk into the store and pick up any two (identical) 1GB DDR2 chips?

In this day and age, what has to match? The PC2-5300? The 333Mhz? None of the above?

Going into an HP laptop, Intel Core Duo T2250, Intel i945 (HP OEM version) board.

Some of you folks out there keep up with this tech, so help a blue guy out, would ya?
    Google got me nowhere after 15 minutes.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Laptop RAM is such a PITA. Plus, you've got the added fun of matching the RAM that's already in there. Crucial has a website with a RAM scanner which is supposed to help you out in this regard.

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'll be removing the old RAM. So would I still have to match anything?

The Crucial site says I don't have dual channel support, but CPU-Z clearly shows I'm using dual channel right now. Weird.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I usually put in all the info at crucial.com without using the scanner. Just put in the make and model number. Then tell it to show all option once it pulls up the RAM types for you. That usually shows you everything that will work with it, not just what will work paired with what is already in there.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been getting my RAM from oempcworld.com. They can help you pick the memory that you need. Their telephone support is very good (they've answered some pretty unusual questions for me), and their prices are great. I've dealt with them for a few years now and have never had a problem.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I think you can also use the Corsair and Kingston websites to check what memory they do that is compatible with your machine (although the last time I looked at the Corsair site, it did kinda look like something had thrown up on it...!)

In theory you *should* be able to put any two 1Gb matching sticks with the right specs in, but some makes of motherboard are still a bit fussy as to which sticks they'll work well with. If I'm not absolutely certain about a PC/laptop then I generally go to Crucial and do as Poppa_Meth does (i.e. manually choose the make and model etc.) and so far I haven't had any problems doing it this way. At least if you have problems with the RAM that was recommended by Crucial (or Corsair etc.) for your system then you should have some kind of comeback and should get a full refund without having to argue over a re-stocking fee.

Good Luck!
    Quote Quote  
  7. When I upgraded mine, I spent forever trying to find out which variant of DDR2 to get (the 333MHz, 5300, blah-dee-blah).

I consulted the motherboard manual, made sure I had both ways of specifying the speed and toddled off to Best Buy. They had just the ticket.

Actually, they may have been rated at a higher frequency.

They work just fine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    LS

DDR02 PC2-5300 memory is 667mhz not 333mhz. (Thats why they call it 5300) Staples has 2gb of PNY memory this week $60.

If the 333mhz number came from crucial I would not trust any of the other info it provided.

Your processor has a 667 mhz FSB. HP is not so stupid as to put a slow bus interface on a fast chip, so ignore crucial buy any PC2-5300 notebook memory you like the price of and put them in.

DDR2 is always dual channel.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The "333" came from both CPU-Z and the Crucial site.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Get two then it will be 666
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What does the HP site have to say?

To my knowledge there is no such thing as a 333mhz PC2-5300 memory module.

There is a PC2-4300 333mhz memory module. Which is harder to come by. And might be replaceable by PC5300

It would be easy enough for both CPU-Z and Crucial to get it wrong since they are not primary information sources.

Its hard to believe HP decided to skimp on the FSB to save a few pennies and cost you in performance.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Not unusual for a laptop, depending on when it was built. Speed = heat.

Check the BIOS to see if it can be sped up, otherwise don't spend extra for faster RAM.

Also make sure unit will recognize 1 GB chips. Some just don't.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Go to the HP website and look for upgrades
    Plugin your model number and find out what RAM they saw works with your model number. Then go to Crucial or Kingston and get the same speed and max RAM HP says it'll take

Or

Just go to www.kingston.com and use the memory search. Use the drop down and select HP then your model....etc
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use this in the laptops for family and friends:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Micron/53DDR2MICP2G/

I originally bought it to upgrade the Mac Mini I bought since Apple wanted $300 for a set of 2GB, and had no problems since with any of the sets. They also buy back your Apple RAM, (kept mine) which doesn't apply to you in this case.

Regarding the 333 reading, isn't the memory bus speed doubled, with the CPU bus speed being quadrupled? I seem to remember reading that somewhere, which would make your RAM 333 x 2 giving you 667, possibly explaining the 333 CPU-Z gave you. I can't remember the technical reason, but it made sense when reading it at the time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Kingston says I can use:
    KTH-ZD8000A/256 256MB DDR2-533 Module
    KTH-ZD8000A/512 512MB DDR2-533 Module
    KTH-ZD8000A/1G 1GB DDR2-533 Module
    KTH-ZD8000B/256 256MB DDR2-667 Module
    KTH-ZD8000B/512 512MB DDR2-667 Module
    KTH-ZD8000B/1G 1GB DDR2-667 Module

Thanks for the help. 8)
    Quote Quote  
  16. just slam this stick in you laptop and forget about HP says ,Kingston says

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145172
    Quote Quote  
  17. First you need to check your motherboard specs and chip to see what type of RAM it supports, also it depends on bios update too. Each motherboard manufacturer has a list of compatible RAM (which is hard to find ) most laptops don't support above 667 speed. Check Fry's every now and then puts a gig or 2 gig stick on sale if it didn't work take it back. I've seen the most compatible ones are from corsair which is the most expensive. If your laptop is old buy the cheapest it won't make that much difference.
    The Newegg deal above is good if your laptop needs twin you are looking at $70 after rebate .
    Quote Quote  
  18. First you need to check your motherboard specs and chip to see what type of RAM it supports, also it depends on bios update too. Each motherboard manufacturer has a list of compatible RAM (which is hard to find ) most laptops don't support above 667 speed. Check Fry's every now and then puts a gig or 2 gig stick on sale if it didn't work take it back. I've seen the most compatible ones are from corsair which is the most expensive. If your laptop is old buy the cheapest it won't make that much difference.
    Quote Quote