VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, my laptop is one of those cisnet nascar laptops. I took it apart once and now after a certain point it suddenly shuts off even with the power cord still connected. I think maybe its got something to do with the smeared blue paste that is set for the fan and the amd turion 64 processing chip. What is this blue paste and why is my computer shutting off at a certain point. I am guessing overheating or something. I'm not sure though. Can someone help?
    Quote Quote  
  2. The blue paste is thermal grease.

Did you remove or otherwise tamper with the thermal grease? If so, you are almost certainly experiencing heat related problems.

-drjtech
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As drjtech stated above, it is likely thermal paste. And you usually can't even see thermal paste without removing heatsinks. If you removed the heatsinks, ensure they are all still properly attached. If you didn't remove any heatsinks but opened the laptop and found components with thermal paste on them, then you are likely missing heatsinks. Either way, the heatsinks need to be put back into place and properly attached.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    it's a laptop though...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vipertongn
    it's a laptop though...
    And

So it's a laptop.... CPU's and other components need to be kept cool or they overheat, shutdown, burnout, ect ect ect, regardless of what they are in.....
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    he was talking about a heatsink...i dunno if laptops come with that...
    Quote Quote  
  7. All computers, portable or desktop, have something that draws heat away from vital parts. Computer parts produce heat when they are on. If you don't have a way to remove that heat they will burn up just like a car engine.

That paste is almost definitely thermal grease which helps conduct heat away from the parts producing it. If it was leaking out when you opened the laptop then you have faulty parts and need to get it checked out if you don't know what you're doing.

Sounds just like what the other guys said. The heat is not being drawn away from your components properly and it's overheating. If you value your laptop and don't want to buy a new one right now I'd get it checked out by a professional. It may cost a few bucks right now but it would be cheper than replacing a processor or laptop altogether.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vipertongn
    he was talking about a heatsink...i dunno if laptops come with that...
    What ?? ya think there is a little leprechaun in them blowing on the CPU
    (no offense to any lurking leprechaun's )

stantheman1976
    I have an older brother that when we were growing up he used to rip EVERYTHING apart

The OP reminds me of what my dad used to always say.... if it's not broke... DON'T fix it!!!
    And if you don't know what you're doing, DON'T take it apart
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    lol it was breaking down anyway coke spill
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Then that might just have something to do w/ it dontcha think?

Sounds like you need to follow the stated advice and take it to a pro. Ordinarily I'd say DIY, but laptops are for the most part a whole different ball of wax.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    With any sort of liquid spill (e.g., coke, water) into an electronic device you need to shut if off immediately and let it dry out. If necessary, you can use alcohol to clean the affected components. Alcohol and water will mix and any leftover will evaporate significantly reducing moisture and significantly reducing the chance of shorting out vital components.

In the case of coke, which contains water & syrup, I'd say you would definitely need to give the insides of your laptop a good cleaning before powering it back up.

When you took your laptop apart did you see the blue paste before you took any components apart? Or did you see it after you took the heatsink off? Did you run your laptop after the spill or shut it off immediately?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Got to any electronic store (tandy, dicksmith) and ask for a can of circuit board cleaner, I dont recall the brand, but it is a specialized product designed for these problems.

You really must make sure the circuits are clean, especially as coke and other liquids can get between and under the pins of chips where short circuits are common place.

You'll also need some form of compressed air, which can be directed at these area's ... just dont use a compressor, or bits might fly right off.

----

Any other method of cleaning is inferior, as coke dry's, the sugar component in these small area's becomes almost, if not entirely, impossible to remove once it has recrystallized.

These problems must be corrected when they happen, and prior to scum formation, drying on circuit paths
    Quote Quote  
  13. Sure its not tuth paste? AquaFresh to make your Laptop exhaust smell minty and fresh
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Coke also contains a bit of acid, and along with the sugar and water component, is deadly to electronic circuits. I've quickly washed out a keyboard with warm water that had Coke spilled on it and saved it. After Coke dries, it's really hard to get out. But I wouldn't suggest that at all with a laptop.

I would be a bit careful with that circuit board cleaner also, and read the label carefully. I use a circuit board cleaner that disolves solder rosin and I don't know what it would do to some plastics. This is really a job for a pro repair facility.
    Quote Quote