VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Okay, I'm totally new at this and I'm driving my dad up the freaking wall with my questions.

So, I recorded Legally Blonde: The Musical and a bunch of other movies onto my DVR like...two months ago. I'm going to be moving soon and that means having to turn back in my box right?

I was wondering is there anyway for me to get the movies and programs I want onto my Mac.

And, if this isn't too much trouble, can you like...explain it in the simplest form possible. I swear I don't know what you guys are talking about half of the time, but any help I can receive so I can relay it to my dad will be appreciated so much.

Ummm...I'm operating on the Mac OS X Leopard system and I'm actually using a rather old Quiksilver G4. I don't know much about all but here are it's computer stats. I can't tell you much more than that, other than I know I have an 80 GB and a 40 GB hard drive for backup.

Alright, thank you so much for all of your help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Moving you to our Mac section.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Connect your DVR to your Mac via Firewire. Launch the AVCBrowser (a piece of software in the Firewire SDK, free from the Apple Developer Connection) and capture. You will get a transport stream on your computer.

You will run into copy protection problems if, in AVCBrowser, your DVR content comes across as anything other than "Copy Freely."
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah You're going to have to stream all of them onto your computer, if you really want them.
    That means if you've got hours of movies, you've got the same time re-recording them onto your mac.
    Keep in mind that capturing something that is already on your dvr will screw up your dvr's fast foward and rewind functions, it often does that to mine.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I havent experienced the fast forward and rewind issues. My problem is my local version of Comcast in Montgomery County, Maryland will put 5c encryption on programs they are legally disallowed from doing.

Of course, everything on MTV HD and Universal HD are all copy freely, which is cool. But they shouldnt be encrypting content on CBS!
    Quote Quote