VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all, Anyone has compared between Philips 5986 against Pioneer DV400V. Which one has better picture quality? I have both brand (non upscale version) and I think Pioneer (DV-393s) one has better picture quality. Thanks in advance for your opinion!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My understanding is that both use basically the same Mediatek chipset so both should have identical quality although Philips will only output 0.0 IRE BLACK whereas in the past Pioneer models either did 7.5 IRE BLACK or gave the option to output either 7.5 IRE BLACK or 0.0 IRE BLACK.

In short 0.0 IRE BLACK is supposedly A-OK but sometimes 7.5 IRE BLACK looks better depending on how the DVD was remastered.

However now that I think about it ... I think all HDMI output is always going to be 0.0 IRE BLACK ... I think only composite and S-Video and maybe (I stress maybe) component support 7.5 IRE BLACK.

If it were me I would go for the Philips since you can easily make it REGION FREE to enjoy the PAL to NTSC capabilities. The Pioneer does PAL to NTSC as well but must be bought REGION FREE as there is no easy way to make it REGION FREE without a hardware mod.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your answer. I just got back from the mall and I watch philips 5986 with Philips 40" Full HD display (forget the model). I press the upscale (try 720p, 1080i, 1080p) but hardly notice any difference. Maybe need to watch it side by side before I can see the difference. I have not seen the Pioneer in action as there is no demo unit attached to TV.

Well the Philips is cheaper only about $90 while the Pioneer is about $140. However Philips does not have optical audio out (don't think it matter as my old 5.1 receiver can also use coaxial digital audio out.

I have no problem with Region Free as ALL players sold in my country is Region Free player.

BTW, I want to hook it to Sony 37U300 (1366x768) LCD TV so there is no need to go to 1080p anyway. I just wonder whether it will give improvement than ordinary progresive scan (480p) player as my TV is doing upscale anyway right?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To be honest you usually do not need an upscaling or upconversion player. The HDTV will do that and unless you have a shit ass model HDTV the chances of the TV doing it as good ... probably better than ... the DVD player are high.

The only DVD players with upconversion that can do better than the TV are those using the Faroudja DCDi chipset such as the DV-981HD model by Oppo Digital or the Faroudja DCDi models by DENON etc.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, well I want to test HDMI connection and most HDMI will do upscale conversion anyway. Too bad I can't find Oppo Digital brand in my country. Might be as well just buy PS3 next year for basic blu-ray player. Thanks again.
    Quote Quote