VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I downloaded an OpenDivX4 avi movie and it has an frame rate 24.975 which is near the Pal 25 but a resolution the same as NTSC DVD / SVCD. I am in region 1 NTSC.

When I try to play with VLC I get a message AVI file is broken Seeking will not work correctly. Do you want to try to repair it (may take a long time) I click no and it plays fine. It also plays with WMP, Nero ShowTime and Winamp.

Q1 Should I try to have VLC fix it? Q2 - Should I keep it as it is or should I convert it to another avi ? Q3 If I want to convert and burn as a SVCD or a DVD, what should I do?

Open for any suggestions.

Thank you, Joey

It appears that subs are hard coded.
    From GSpot
    File Size............ 1,029,176,424 bytes

--- Video Information ---
    Video Codec Name..... DivX 4 (OpenDivX)
    Duration............. 1:42:30
    Video Bitrate........ 1198kb/s
    Bits / Pixel......... 0.139
    Resolution........... 720x480
    Aspect Ratio......... 1.500
    Frames Per Second.... 24.975

--- Advanced ---
    B-VOP................
    N-VOP................
    QPel.................
    GMC..................

--- Audio Information ---
    No of Audio Streams.. 1
    Audio Codec.......... 0x0055 MPEG-1 Layer 3
    Audio Bitrate........ 128kb/s CBR 48000 Hz
    Audio Channel Count.. 2
    ÿ
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hi-

There's nothing wrong with a framerate of 24.975fps. That's what you get when you unblend an NTSC DVD originally from a PAL source made using a PAL master. The framerate has nothing to do with your problem.

If it plays fine I don't see any need to either "fix" it or reencode it because of the VLC message. No, if I were to reencode it it would be because of the reported 720x480 framerate. Unless you already know that gives a bad AR and are using a player to resize it. Me, I much prefer to make my AVIs 1:1.

If you want to convert it to DVD or SVCD, reencode it for 25fps keeping the same resolution (and 4:3 or 16:9, depending on whatever it's supposed to be), and when all done, run the resulting MPV through DGPulldown with the Custom Box checked and 24.975->29.97fps filled in. That way you don't have to stretch the audio. It'll remain in synch. Just convert the MP3 audio to AC3.
    Quote Quote