VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good Day,

Seeking assistance/advice/guidance, plain old help on the following!

In short, after weeks of system build, setup, installation, configuration, testing and use...I am finally recording HDTV programs with Vista Media Center (System specs below). I seem to have difficulties, specifically in Video Playback at this time of DVR-MS files using Vista Media Center. I have recorded several shows this past week in HDTV including CSI.

Using Media Center to playback the show, the audio is fine, however the video is terrible, pausing/skipping every couple seconds and not keeping fluid with the audio whatsoever.

Heres my current situation, in summary including various playback/testing scenarios

================================================== ==============

Same CSI HDTV Recorded show in all scenarios: (note, no audio problems, audio good across the board)
    ***1. HTPC with Media Center playback - problematic video
    ***2. XBox Extender playback - works well, good video
    ***3. HTPC with Media "Player" - less problematic video
    ***4. HTPC with VideoRedo MPG conversion -
    not perfect playback in VLC Media Player, but 90+% better video playback than Media Center

MY SYSTEM SPECS in case needed:
    OS = Vista Home Premium 32bit
    CPU = AMD 64/2 Dual 4800+ 2.5GHz
    RAM = 2GB DDR
    Video = NVidia GeForce 7050PV/NVideo nForce 630a
    Video Drivers = Websites recent, ForceWare R.163 Rel. 11/2007

================================================== ==============

Any ideas, suggestions or recommedations on how/why Media Center on the System will not playback fluidly its very own files, would of course, be very much so appreciated!

Thank you for your time and efforts...I look forward to a positive response.

Best wishes,
    iukini
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have seen it mentioned before, HD is a bit hard on even Dual Core CPU's

I assume you have Pure Video Drivers as well, that would take pressure off your CPU from doing all the work. But in MEDIA CENTER VISTA, there is no way to change the decoders (really) unless I missed something.

I have almost 4 year old 2.4Ghz P4 and I only have problems with high bit stream channels locally. ABC being the easiest on my poor CPU. Media Center in Vista is not as "tunable" as the XP version I am finding out and while I am considering a dual boot system, I do like the slick interface for both Vista and Media Center is just looks better!

Check your decoders and it looks like only Power DVD Ultra Decoders are working with HD stuff.

VLC has FFDShow I believe and that my account for the better HD playback

What HD Tuner card as you using??
    Project Digital: Eliminate All Physical Media is finally underway!
    Quote Quote