VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Right now to back up my dvds I have been using the following programs (interchangably)

DVD Shrink
    DVD Decrypter
    Ripit4me
    DVDFab HD Decrypter

I am wanting to order the Ally Mcbeal series off of ebay but its only being sold from Australia and its in Region 4 format. Will the programs I am using now to back up my dvds work also in converting and backing up foreign dvds? If not what other program and/or programs will I need in order to do this. Any information and help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all,
    Denise
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This project will involve many hours of work. It's probably easier to buy a DVD player that can play NTSC and PAL discs from any region. You can get them for as little as 29 dollars, at Walmart and other such places.
    You are in breach of the forum rules and are being banned. Do not post false information.
    /Moderator John Q. Publik
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Not all dvd players will play other regions except for their own region unless you get a firmware hack or command for your dvd player,just rip with DVDFab HD Decrypter and burn region free.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For an inexpensive DVD player that can do PAL to NTSC conversion look no further than any number of Philips DVD players. The top-of-the-line Philips is the DVP5982/32 (often listed as just the DVP5982 without the /32 at the end). This can be bought for $60 - $70 and is a great "budget" player.

Other good models are the DVP5140 and DVP5960 as well as the DVP3140 but beware that the DVP3140 is the cheapest of the bunch and some have complained that the quality of it is only so-so and as such I would avoid that model. The other models though will all be A-OK and yes you do have to "hack" it to make it REGION FREE but that is very easy to do ... you just need to enter a "secret" code via the remote control. Those directions can be found on this very website under the "DVD Hacks" section (see the left hand sidebar of the website).

Now if you really want to convert to NTSC then YES it can be done but it is a very long involved process to do it correctly ... very "manual" process at that using multiple programs requiring re-encoding and re-authoring etc.

So in short you are better off buying a DVD player that can just play the PAL DVD discs and convert them to NTSC ala the Philips models I just mentioned.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try ConvertXtodvd. Easy and worked well for me. Get a free trial copy
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0
    Not all dvd players will play other regions except for their own region unless you get a firmware hack or command for your dvd player,just rip with DVDFab HD Decrypter and burn region free.
    That's not much help if the original is PAL and your player/TV combination is NTSC.

Changing the domain stream attributes from PAL to NTSC sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. It's always worth a try.

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic221928.html
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ntscuser
    Originally Posted by johns0
    That's not much help if the original is PAL and your player/TV combination is NTSC.

Changing the domain stream attributes from PAL to NTSC sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. It's always worth a try.

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic221928.html
    Most dvd players will play pal dvd's if they are region free,that to me is help,your answer wasnt.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The suggestion of buying a cheap second player that converts from PAL to NTSC is the best one. I have attempted on several occasions to convert videos from PAL to NTSC now, and for reasons I will not elaborate on here, the process always defeats me. Even if you do get it to work, the likelihood of getting a quality video is low.

Having a player that converts one standard to the other, or a TV that can sync to both standards (hard to find in the USA, I am told), is the most pain-free way to do it.
    "It's getting to the point now when I'm with you, I no longer want to have something stuck in my eye..."
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have bought region 4 DVD's before and I just happened to have a dvd player that also supports PAL format. They are quite popular actually. Usually the high end DVD palyers you can get have that feature. And they only cost from $75-$130 probably. All you have to do is use anydvd to make your dvds region free and burn them to a DVD+R DL. I advocate anydvd because it is the single best ripping utitlty out there, and it is constantly updated to handle the newest protections. If you want to go even farther, you can use pgcedit to clean up the structure and vob blanker to remove the unreferenced and dead pgcs before you burn.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have tried using Nero Vision and converted NTSC to PAL.
    The VOB files I started with were from HD Camcorder (MOV files)
    in NTSC. I had no menus worry about.

I am not sure if you do this with the complete disc wheter the menus
    will be retained or not.

I am sure you can read the PAL VOB files from the original disc
    (or decrypt that first).

I have a cheap $20 Prosonic player, and it plays anything (almost anything)
    and I have played PAL discs that I got from UK.
    Quote Quote