VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is there any easy way to change volume?

I know there is tool to change mp3 volume w/o re-encoding. But it has to demux first and then remux. Painful for large file.

How about AC3 audio?

thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just turn on the volume in windows ! :P
    You can use a tool like Reaper or Sound Forge to normalize the sound level.

With AC3, you have to demux, convert and remux anyway...
    Shine as you should !
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Just turn on the volume in windows ! :P
    a.k.a. sndvol32.exe

\\\
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think it's painful to edit audio in avi files.

Lets say you have an avi with mp3 audio

1) In virtualdub load the avi and choose streams, stream list. Select "demux" and name the file something like original.mp3. This extracts the audio. You can confirm the file is an mp3 by opening it with Gspot.

2) Edit with Audacity as needed (amplify etc..).and export as mp3 and choose a new name ie... edited.mp3.

3) In Virtualdub with original avi, (if you had closed the window), choose streams again, stream list, select "add" and locate and choose edited.mp3. You will now have 2 audio tracks. If you want to keep both use the moveup to make the new track primary. If you just want the new one then click on the one that says "source input avi" and click disable. This removes the original audio from the mux options to follow.

Since the new audio is already an mp3 we don't need to convert it or compress it so that's all that's needed. A bit more would be required if we had input a wav file but we can skip that here.

So now click "ok"

Then "file" and "save as" and select a new avi file name. Make sure the video mode option is set to "direct stream copy". This will mux the new avi and even for very large files will take no more than 3 minutes and probably a lot less.

I used mp3 as an example, virtuladub also works with ac3 audio but Audacity does not so you need another audio editor like Goldwave.

btw) As a side note, I haven't used it but it will also accept srt (subtitles files) and mux them this way also.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Sound forge or audition do a great job by opening the avi file and saving the changes to the audio without touching the video.
    drink up....the world's about to end
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To keep it freeware I should have said use Belight (Gui) for BeSweet instead of Goldwave. Some of those other softwares are in the hundreds of dollars.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gll99
    I don't think it's painful to edit audio in avi files.

Lets say you have an avi with mp3 audio.
    The methods outlined involve converting to wave and recompressing which takes some time (well a few minutes anyway) and will reduce quality a bit. Though the quality loss is small, for MP3 source and going back to MP3, better and faster to use either MP3DirectCut, or MP3Gain, both freeware which can losslessly change the global volume on an MP3. For MP3Gain you first analyse then set the target volume from the default 89dB to whatever you want.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is an "Adjust Audio Volume" feature in Virtualdub but it is Full Processing mode so you have to recompress the audio.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote