VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I have a VOB file which is only about 200k bigger tha what I can fit on w DVD-RW. What tool can I use to simply cut the last bit of the VOB? I definitely do not want to reencode. The file is a x264 +AC3 (converted y mkv2vob) to play on a PS3.

Grateful for any insights!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Both VideoReDo and MPEGVCR are "try before you buy" and easy to use MPEG editors that can cut your VOB file. You can't cut by size but by time, so you'll have to play with it a little bit to get the right place to make the edit if you want to save 200k.

Other suggestions:
    1) Re-encode with the free HC encoder and you may not notice any quality loss with such small compression. HC is excellent.
    2) Burn to DVD+R DL and keep the whole thing.

I hope you know that DVD-RW and DVD+RW are NOT intended for long term storage. Using it temporarily to play your file is OK. Keeping the file on a DVD-RW disc for 10 years and hoping it will still play 10 years from now is a bad idea.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Rejig can recompress MPEG. It's much faster than reencoding.
    It can work directly from a VOB too. Use "file mode", and set the compression level at 99%.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If it doesn't have or need menus, DVD Shrink in re-author mode can trim it too. The set start and end point function displays size as well as time.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Guys,

The point is that there is NO reencode whatsoever. I've found VideoReDo to be quite good at being able to cut the last (x)k of the file. This is what I'm using this for:

1. Download a MKV HD movie (either 4G or 8G format)
    2. Use MKV2VOB to create a VOB enclosure which plays on PS3 with AC3 and HD
    3. The VOB file created however is slightly bigger that the original MKV and would not fit neither on a 4G DVD or 8G DL DVD.
    4. As with most movies last 5 mins are credits, I now use VideoReDo to cut the credits.

I'm not using this for archival purposes, just to watch HD on my PS3 with AC3.

Many thanks for everybody's help!
    Quote Quote