VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. My purpose is to overlay my video clips with 3D animated text. For this I use Vegas 8 as video editing software and Wax to produce the 3D animated text avis. The various texts on blue background are produced using Photoshop. These are then imported into Wax to produce the animation avis. I place the animation avi on the track above the original video track of Vegas and apply Sony chroma key FX to the animation avi to switch off the blue background. Until this point all is fine. When I run the video the animated text shows up, background is transparent, but the underlying video clip moves together with the animation. In a way the two tracks are integrated into one. Could anyone help me out in this problem please? Many thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can you post a short clip ?

Also, are you using Event Pan and Crop or Track Motion in Vegas ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. In Vegas I am using Event FX Sony Chroma Key. Event or Track motion are not used. The clips are below.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I am having problems in uploading the clips.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is there any reason you are not using Wax as a plugin for Vegas, this would save the AVI creation step? You could also create a transparent PNG file for the text which would eliminate the need for chroma keying.
    "Just another sheep boy, duck call, swan
    song, idiot son of donkey kong - Julian Cope"
    Quote Quote  
  6. No there is no reason for not using Wax as a plugin for Vegas. The only valid reason is I don't know how to do it. As to the PNG files with transparent background, I have tried that. One has to produce a series of many PNG pictures and then add them to the overlay track in Vegas. It is quite a messy process and I gave up before I could get any serious result.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When you install Wax, there is a checkbox for installing the plugin (path has to be to the Vegas plugin folder), if you didn't do it initially you can reinstall Wax. Wax should show up as one of the effects and transistions in Vegas after the plugin is installed.

Don't you have to create a series of images in PhotoShop? Sounds like six of dozen on one hand and half on the other!
    "Just another sheep boy, duck call, swan
    song, idiot son of donkey kong - Julian Cope"
    Quote Quote  
  8. I reinstalled Wax and the Wax plugins started appearing in vegas, but this does not help in sorting out the described problem. As to the series of images, Wax imports only one image and exports hundreds of images in TGA or PNG format depending on the length and frame number per second of the animation clip. Handling an avi is much more handy then these batch of images.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Overlaying a video track should not cause the underlying tracks to do anything at all. The chromakey effect does nothing but allow you to see through a particular colour. It does not cause the track to move.

If you have done what you say, then what you say is happening cannot. Therefore you have done something you have not described, either intentionally or not.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I am looking for a solution so it is not logical to keep something hidden intentionally. As to the problem I think I understand why Vegas behaves like that. The upper layer frame turns around the y axis. The background is transparent and only the text is visible. As a result as the frame turns only the part of the lower layer covered by the upper frame is visible. That is the lower layer gives the impression as if it is moving with the upper frame. The rest of the lower layer is covered by the background of the upper track. Now the problem is to switch off also the background of the upper track, which I have not achieved until now. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I still don't understand what you are doing. Let me try to describe what I think you have, and you can correct me.

You have two layers.

The background layer is just normal video.

The foreground (and therefore top) layer is rotating text created in WAX2/photoshop etc.

You have applied the chromakeyer effect to the top layer to remove the blue background and expose the video on the track below.

Is that it so far ?

I cannot see how this can cause the problem you describe. I really need to see a clip of the problem to understand what you are seeing.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Here is a short clip showing the result.

merbalt22.zip
    Quote Quote  
  13. After trying various combinations I believe I have found the solution to the problem. I shall describe the problem and the solution briefly hoping that this may help other forum users who will encounter the problem in the future.
    Problem: You wish to add 3d animated text to a video clip.
    Tools: Sony Vegas Movie Studio 8, Wax 3d animation tool and Photoshop Elements 2. Wax is freeware.
    Solution: Step 1 - Create text on black background using Photoshop. Save the image in psd format.
    Step 2 - Add the image as media file to Wax and insert it as track at level 1. Then go to video plugins and select quick 3d animation and place it as a child under track 1. Extend track 1 and its child to 10 secondes. Using the animation parameters of the video plugin record the desired animation. Finally render the result as an avi.
    Step 3 - Import the avi into Vegas and place it on the track above the video clip. Select FX video effect for the video event you just placed on the upper track. Select Chroma Key effect. Choose the colour as black. Play with the sliders and mask only parameter to get the best picture. Close the FX event and play the video clip.
    I hope this may help everyon interested in the subject.
    Quote Quote