VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    1.) How long do miniDV tapes last before I have to transfer all my videos to new tapes or hard drive?

2.) For miniDV tapes, if I used a professional service to transfer tapes: if I transfer from tape A to tape B, tape B to C, and so on, without going through a computer, does the video get deteriorated?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    1. About 20 years if stored properly. I have inferior VHS tapes that are almost that old and still perform well.

2. The first transfer should be 1:1, but eventually transferring with just the first tape to a second tape, then from that tape to a third, and so on, errors will accumulate. But if your tapes are good, you should be able to get five generations without appreciable loss.

Of course I can't back that up with ready statistics, but I would trust DV tapes before DVD discs for long term storage of large files.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have miniDV tapes recorded in 1997 and I haven't had any problems playing them during this year.

If the transfers are from miniDV to miniDV via FireWire then there will be no deterioration in quality.

The one exception to this is recordings made in LP mode. Do not EVER record in LP mode. Always use the normal SP. LP tapes rarely play correctly in other machines.

If you want to make multiple copies of the same tape (i.e., A to B and A to C), a professional service should be able to use two recording machines and record B and C at the same time)

If you have a lot of tapes to duplicate, you should consider getting another cheap camcorder. The hourly rate of the professional service will soon eat a lot of money.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1) tape is a magnetic material that stores changes in polarity of molecules. how long it lasts is determined by the quality of material, magnetic strength of writing heads, where it's stored and how it's stored.

2) it depends on if tape A can be read without dropped frames, then if B can be read without dropped frames, etc....

for most people using the tape to transfer to dvd and storing both medias in a safe non-magnetic cool dry dark area should last a long time. sort of like aging wine. no one really knows an expiration date for either, but multiple backups can't hurt.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote