VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi Everyone,

My Panasonic stand-alone VCR just broke and I'm in the market to replace it. (Please hold the laughter regarding my Jurrasic-era machine.) I also have a Panasonic DVD recorder. I use both the VCR and DVD recorder to record TV shows using my analog cable connection without a cable box. Although I primarily use the DVD recorder to record TV shows, I also sometimes use the VCR as well, usually to record two different shows on two different channels broadcast at the same time.

To my surprise, there are no stand-alone VCRs only combo DVD player/recorder/VHS units. What's worse, most of them don't have TV tuners, only the high-end ones in the $225 plus price range.

I'm looking at getting either a Toshiba or Sony DVD recorder with a VCR that has an ATSC tuner so I can continue to record TV shows using my analog cable connection (coaxial) with no cable box. I also want to future-proof the unit so that it still works as is in February 2009. My TV is a Sony 36" 1080i HD-Ready TV, http://www.amazon.com/Sony-KV-36HS420-Trinitron-Hi-Scan-HD-Ready/dp/B0002FO3JW/ref=pd_rhf_p_2.

I have some questions:

1) If I connect the coxial cable from the wall directly to the ATSC tuner DVD recorder/VCR and then to the TV, will I be able to record two TV shows on two different channels at the same time--one with the unit's DVD recorder and the other with the VHS?

2) Using the same cable connection as in question no. 1, will I be able to see free digital TV channels (in standard analog resolution, of course) with the DVD recorder/VCR on? Will I be able to see these free digital TV channels with the DVD recorder/VHS unit off and just my TV?

3) I don't use an external cable box because I want to be able to record TV shows without having to turn on the TV or leave the TV on the channel I want to record. Will this change by using the DVD recorder/VHS unit with the ATSC tuner or will it have no affect on this practice?

4) Is it worth it to get a DVD player/recorder that upscales the image to 1080 resolution. My TV is 1080i-ready.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1) the number of shows that you can record is dependant upon the number of tuners within the recorder

2) All the new recorders function the same as your old VCR, meaning it will you TV can function with the unit ON or OFF.

3) same as number 2. Recorders (new models or your old VCR) don't rely on the TV to tune the channel, so the channel selected on the TV is irrelevant for recording.

4) Depends on the player. Some players are good at upscaling, others aren't. And your TV may already have a good upscaler making the players ability to upscale irrelevant.

I would choose now as a time to upgrade your technology and forget about VHS altogether. If you have VHS tapes that you can't replace (ie: upgrade to DVD) then get a cheap VHS player to use them. As for recording, get a DVR. There are many makes and models. Choose a model with a HDD suitable to your needs. You then just record your shows onto the internal HDD. If a show is worth keeping, they you just record it to DVD (some have internal recorders or you can output to a seperate recorder which you already have), if it isn't worth keeping, just delete it. VHS is a thing of the past and will need to be replaced sooner or later. No use postponing the inevitable.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1. An ATSC digital tuner will receive nothing on a cable connection. ATSC is for over the air broadcasts only. You NEED QAM digital tuning for cable.

Most DVD recorders with tuners also include an analog NTSC tuner. These will continue to work over cable but expect analog tunable channels to decrease each year.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks to everyone for your replies. I appreciate it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    E-Bay!

I have picked up several good spares. The last one was a 2005 model Mistsubishi HSU748 S-VHS, never used, with remote and manual. Total cost $80.00.
    Quote Quote