VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What is MKV?
    The Matroska Multimedia Container is an open standard free Container format, a file format that can hold an unlimited number of video, audio, picture or subtitle tracks inside a single file.

How to play MKV?
    Easiest, play with latest VLC Media Player or Media Player Classic Home Cinema. If you want to use Windows Media Player or other directshow players like MPC then install haali media splitter, ffdshow, ac3filter.

MKV to AVI DivX/Xvid
    Use any video converter, format factory, Xvid4psp. Read https://forum.videohelp.com/topic360276.html . Or use Super, AutoMKV, Total Video Converter, Winavi.

MKV to DVD
    Use ConvertXtoDVD or DVD Flick or AVS2DVD. If you get problem converting to DVD directly you can try use Xvid4psp, Super, AllToAvi and then convert the AVI to DVD.

MKV to DVD with subtitles
    Extract the subtitles from the MKV using MKVExtractGUI or MKVcleaver. Then use ConvertXtoDVD or DVD Flick or FAVC and load the mkv and subtitle file.

MKV to Xbox 360 or Playstation 3
    Use GotSENT or for Playstation 3 use MKV2VOB. Or stream the MKV to the xbox 360 or PS3 using PS3 Media Server.

MKV to MP4
    Use GotSENT or if you want to reconvert/shrink use Handbrake.

MKV to AVI/MP4/MKV with burned in subtitles
    Use Handbrake, Xvid4psp or avidemux. Read https://forum.videohelp.com/topic360276.html .

MKV to BluRay or AVCHD
    Use MultiAVCHD.

Problems
    Slow playback
    If the MKV contain H264 HD video, identify the video codec in a MKV with MediaInfo, use latest ffdshow or Coreavc and play with Media Player Classic. If that wont help you might need a new computer or a new graphic card because High Defination H264 video requires a fast computer.

The subtitles disappear when converting
    Extract the subtitles with mkvextractgui and add it manually when you convert to DVD( with for example ConvertXtoDVD) or to AVI DivX/XviD (with for example AllToAVI).

Audio sync issues when you convert
    It's probably because of VFR video and it's not easy to solve. Try latest AllToAVI. If that wont work Give UP, it's not worth the trouble. If you want to play mkv on your TV then get a HTPC or media center with MKV support see http://www.mpcclub.com/ .

No audio when playing on my media center/popcorn hour/etc
    Use Popcorn MKV audio converter to convert the audio to AC3 audio and the new mkv will work on most devices. The video will not reconverted.

Okey, no more mkv questions.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I am fairly new to mkv containers and I have a few large mkv files that I would only like to split in parts of less than 4GB (usb disk is FAT32!).

I have downloaded "matroska splitter" but I have no idea what to do with it ;(

What tool can I use just to split these big files?

many thanks
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Matroska splitter is a decoder for mkv. Use instead avidemux to cut a mkv. I think mkvtoolnix also includes some cutter.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Can you help explain how people watch mkv's on a HDTV? I'm confused. Do they use a HTPC or PS3?

I've seen a lot of movies that are 4.37~4.48gb 720p available. They fit on a DVD-R, but no stand alone players can display them. And once you use a program like PS3 Video 9 or mkv2vob, the files no longer fit on a single DVD. And the only way to watch them on a HDTV is the stream TVersity, burn on a DVD-DL, or flash memory, right?

I want to start watching mkv hi-def movies on my HDTV, but don't know where to start. Any info, advice, links would be appreciated. TIA
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Build a HTPC. It's too much trouble convert and stream. .
    Quote Quote  
  6. I have two MKV files. Each is ~4.5Gb (I guess for burning to DVD5's). I would like to re-encode them but keep the surround sound then join them together to fit on a DVD9 so I can play it on my PS3.
    They are currently VC1 video (HD) and DTS audio.

How can I do this? AllToAvi only seems to output as Stereo MP3.
    I've tried MKV2vob, but can't seem to join the VOBs together.
    I tried MKVmerge first, but then MKV2Vob crashes after it reaches half way. The merged file will encode on PS3video9 creating an 1080p output ~4Gb in total, but sound is stereo.
    I can create a MPEG2 file using MKVtoVob and use DivX, but the output only plays in stereo on the PS3 (despite GSpot claiming it has 6 channels). There are also issues with joining the MPEG2.
    TSmuxer would create a file too big (~10Gb). I don't want to have to fork out on a bluray burner yet.

I have an Xvid file with surround sound that works on the PS3 (AC3 audio), so I want to emmulate that ideally.
    Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Most programs have problems preserving the 6-channel audio from .dts, they convert to 2-channel or not at all. (There maybe other ways to preserve the 6-channel AC3, but this is the only way that I found to work all the time. eac3to is supposed to work, but it didn't for me)

1) Demux your .dts audio streams with mkvextractgui

2) Use foobar2000 with the .dts plugin to convert to .aiff (uncompressed)

3) Convert .aiff to 6-channel AC3 (I used MeGUI's audio component, it's based on BeHappy and several other engines, I used aften)

4) Join the 2 AC3 streams with VOBMerge

5) Do the video join separately using avisynth: DirectShowSource("PATH\video1.mkv",fps=x,convertfp s=true)+DirectShowSource("PATH\video2.mkv",fps=x,c onvertfps=true)

"x" is the true frame rate (e.g. 25 for PAL). In my experience, most HD VC-1 MKV's are VFR, so I would include the convertfps argument in.

You can feed this into your encoder of choice, for example in virtualdub using DivX. Make sure you specify "no audio." You will need to figure out the proper bitrate using a calculator to fit DVD-9 size (don't forget audio bitrate). If you use avsproxygui+avidemux, it has a built in calculator.

6) Use avimux-gui to mux your audio + video

Personally, I would use h.264 video and 5.1 AAC audio in .mp4 container instead of DivX / AC3 / .avi because of higher quality. You would just change the steps a bit to do this. Another way of h.264/5.1 AAC is to use ripbot264, using the level 4.1 profile for console PS3 compatibility. Then join (concatenate) the 2 parts with YAMB.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    EatMoreChickens

To play HD to your HDTV monitor is very easy!

I use the TVIX M6500A (DVICO) with 500GB HDD installed

Method 1
    Copy any of the follow files: WMV9, WMV-HD, AVI, MPG, VOB, MP4, ASF, TP, TR, IFO, ISO, MKV, MPEG4.10, XVID, DIVX, M2TS (Bluray files) to the internal HDD.

Plug this device to HDMI/DVI of HD monitor and play, of course you want to DTS or AC3 then you can use SPDIF or COAX digital

Method 2
    Ripped and Save the above files in your computer, then stream it to the TVIX via IP address (using NFS service - software included)

Method 3
    Burn the above file to a DVD-R or DL DVD-R, connect an USB DVD-ROM to TVIX insert the copied DVD. Play

Yeap! that simple and you get 1080P

Hope this will clear above how to play high def

You can convert Bluray (20~30GB) files to MKV or TS (4.3 ~ 8.4GB DVD-R or DL DVD-R) files with x264 codec and DATOptic.com offers a free software to do just that
    Quote Quote  
  9. my MKV files have MP3 audio and no software seems to be able to take these MKV's to VOB properly for playing on a PS3...
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a 4gb mkv file(h.264) with 5.1 surround.I want to convert it so i can play it on my dvd player and keep the 5.1 surround so that i can use my hometheater system.but alltoavi goes into restricted mode and make the audio mp3..i want it to stay 5.1
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My computer restarts when I am watching MKV movies and only when I am watching MKV. I have updated my video card driver, made sure I am using the right codecs, atleast this is what I am told. I have a fast computer but am wondering if it is the video card. I have used Media Player Classic, VLC and others and it still does it. I am watching the movies straight from the hard drive to my TV through a HDMI cable.

Thanks in advance.
    People don't plan to fail, they fail to plan.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FireWire2
    Method 3
    Burn the above file to a DVD-R or DL DVD-R, connect an USB DVD-ROM to TVIX insert the copied DVD. Play
    are DVD drives and USB2.0 truly fast enough for 1080p .mkv playback?

(if so a million thanks to Firewire2, this will end my search for standalone .mkv playback from DVD media!)

cheers!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't seen 1080 MKVs that would fit on a DVD, but I have seen 720p material stored this way. As you are fitting effectively the same amount of data as a DVD Video into the same space (A DVD disc), you are working with same sorts of bitrates. A 2 hour movie averages the mid - high 4000 kbps range, which is easily handled by USB2 drives.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    I haven't seen 1080 MKVs that would fit on a DVD
    oops, sorry, it takes a *dual layer* DVD to store a 1080 MKV, so...
    but I have seen 720p material stored this way. As you are fitting effectively the same amount of data as a DVD Video into the same space (A DVD disc), you are working with same sorts of bitrates. A 2 hour movie averages the mid - high 4000 kbps range, which is easily handled by USB2 drives.
    can a USB2 drive also easily handle the bitrate of a 1080 MKV? (or just a 720 one?)

TIA guns1inger!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    one question please......
    how can I create a small in size but good in quality MKV....(preserve quality)
    I mean,the software/tools,the right encoding setting to produce good MKV...
    I've try encode to RMVB ....but encode to MKV much better in result...
    I've done some experiments with avidemux.....(MKV output=>video:MPEG4 AVC,audio:AAC)
    but I couldn't preserve quality.....
    can anybody give some advice please....
    at least, the right encoding setting....
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    vidholic

It is all about bitrate... you can make 300MB MKV for a 1.30Hr video clip, but the qaulity will be bad
    Here is the rule of that I used.
    1000 - 1500 DVD quality
    4500 to 5500 for 1080p quality
    to keeep 5.1 or 7.1 sound I just ripped and remux after encoded
    Certainly x264 codec is the best codec so far, this is what I prefer.
    for HD container: I use MKV or TS, I prefer TS becasue it support chapters and DTS-HD/True_HD audio stream

It seems to be very complicated, but it's not... The procedure you can break into 4 parts:
    Ripped
    Demux
    Encoded - select the Stand Alone Bluray profiler
    Remux

I have a 8.0TB NAS ( MNAS-44) hold all of 720p and 1080p video, it streams to 2x places
    - My 115 in projector with 7.1 Onkyo Apm via limHD310S
    - My bed Room 42 in LCD with Bose system via EP6000B

In this forum, I see lots of pp want to convert Download HD to DVD quality, and I wondering why?

I love the EP6000B the most, because it has bit torrent built-in. my PC is no longer turn on 24/7 like it use to

I can see the Edison bill going down. which is a good thing...

BTW when you buy the HD Media player, insisted the Encode Software Bundle

Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    can a USB2 drive also easily handle the bitrate of a 1080 MKV? (or just a 720 one?).
    Why not? USB2.0 offers 480Mbps it far more the Bluray can deliver....
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ...question moved to own thread...
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the following question:

i want to convert MKV(1280x720) to mp4 H264 (720x404) keeping the quality as high as possible.
    Of course i want to make the file smaller than the original.
    My question is about the video bit rate.
    What is the minimum bit rate that i must use from HD 1280x720 to 720x404 to get best quality.
    If the original file is 4800 mbps, if i set the output to 3500 for example?
    Quote Quote  
  20. is there a tool i can use to convert mkv to mkv2vob for the Mac? i want to be able to play them on my ps3.

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wish to convert all mums VHS to a media file for HDD media player and was all set to do it in MPEG2 (as advised by members on this forum) however I learnt I cannot have chapters doing this so thought I would do it as an MKV file as apparantly you can have chapters with it and the WD media player I wish to use plays these files.

Im a little confused though, if it is a container file, then what form of video can I put inside it? Do I still use MPEG2 and then somehow place that in the MKV container and then add chapters?

Or does it have to be a certain type of video format inside the container?
    Quote Quote  
  22. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by carlosian
    is there a tool i can use to convert mkv to mkv2vob for the Mac? i want to be able to play them on my ps3.

thanks
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic374345.html#2014567
    Quote Quote  
  23. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Rudyard
    I wish to convert all mums VHS to a media file for HDD media player and was all set to do it in MPEG2 (as advised by members on this forum) however I learnt I cannot have chapters doing this so thought I would do it as an MKV file as apparantly you can have chapters with it and the WD media player I wish to use plays these files.

Im a little confused though, if it is a container file, then what form of video can I put inside it? Do I still use MPEG2 and then somehow place that in the MKV container and then add chapters?

Or does it have to be a certain type of video format inside the container?
    You can put MPEG2 in MKV, use for example MakeMKV if your source is DVD or else mkvtoolnix. No reconverting at all.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    oh cool, thanks Baldrick thats great news cause I am comfortable with MPEG2 conversion.

My workflow will be as such:

1 - capture VHS using HUFFY
    2 - Compile in Sony Vegas 7, rendere out to high bitrate MPEG2
    3 - Use one of your above mentioned programs to put in MKV container

Then all I need to do is find out at what point and software I add the chapters. Is that a feature of one of the programs you mentioned or will it read any chapter markers I create in vegas?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    does anyone know how to convert .mkv to .avi or other Xbox360 format while choosing which of the audio strems to keep (dual-audio anime in mkv format)
    Quote Quote  
  26. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by v13jf9
    does anyone know how to convert .mkv to .avi or other Xbox360 format while choosing which of the audio strems to keep (dual-audio anime in mkv format)
    Try minicoder. Or else use mkvmergegui to remove the audio track from the mkv and then convert the mkv to avi or mp4 using any all-in-converter, see our tools list.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    Is it possible to burn a 6GB mkv file on a DVD DL so that it can be played on a PC with VLC or another player?
    Following someone's advice, I set up the file system to UDF 2.5 in ImgBurn. It burnt but no player would recognize the file.
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    Use imgburn, create data dvd/cd and burn the mkv
    This is certainly a stupid question but how do you create a data dvd in ImgBurn?
    During my search on the forum, I discovered FAVC to convert the mkv to a dvd and mkvtoolnix to split the file into 2 SD size files.
    Great options but still I would rather be able to directly burn and the whole mkv file and keep it playable.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi!
    Since this post is quite old (since 2007), is there now any easier way, i.e. a single tool/software to do the job, i.e.: to convert a .MKV movie (1080p) to Bluray so that I can burn it to a BD-R 25GB ??
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FireWire2
    vidholic

It is all about bitrate... you can make 300MB MKV for a 1.30Hr video clip, but the qaulity will be bad
    Here is the rule of that I used.
    1000 - 1500 DVD quality
    4500 to 5500 for 1080p quality
    to keeep 5.1 or 7.1 sound I just ripped and remux after encoded
    Certainly x264 codec is the best codec so far, this is what I prefer.
    for HD container: I use MKV or TS, I prefer TS becasue it support chapters and DTS-HD/True_HD audio stream

It seems to be very complicated, but it's not... The procedure you can break into 4 parts:
    Ripped
    Demux
    Encoded - select the Stand Alone Bluray profiler
    Remux

I have a 8.0TB NAS ( MNAS-44) hold all of 720p and 1080p video, it streams to 2x places
    - My 115 in projector with 7.1 Onkyo Apm via limHD310S
    - My bed Room 42 in LCD with Bose system via EP6000B

In this forum, I see lots of pp want to convert Download HD to DVD quality, and I wondering why?

I love the EP6000B the most, because it has bit torrent built-in. my PC is no longer turn on 24/7 like it use to

I can see the Edison bill going down. which is a good thing...

BTW when you buy the HD Media player, insisted the Encode Software Bundle

Interesting, don't rate Bose systems at all, definitely convenience over quality, but there you go. I would up the dvd bit rate as well I'm using 2500 and 4 A frames to 7 B frames, its keeping quality but size varies 1.9 to 2.3Gb for 1.5hr film, but maybe we are coming from different ends.

Of interest is the TS encoder you use, DTS is best I agree, but using Handbrake no TS option, how do you achieve your rips and what do you use for encoding please.

Good posting.

2 servers 24/7 DVD to MKV, i'm loving it. Saving huge amounts of space 9 Drive RAID 6 array nearly full. Space is appearing by the day.
    Quote Quote