VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I'm looking to buy a firewire card to transfer recordings from my motorola comcast hd-dvr. I don't know what pin count the hd-dvr has. I don't even know what type of firewire card to get for the pc.

I will be using it on a VISTA pc. How do I find out about firewire pin counts? I see they have 6-6 cables, 6-4 cables and 4-4 cables. Which is which?

Thanks in advance.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also check the Wiki for the Motorola box:
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_use_a_Motorola_DVR

Having just done this this past weekend, my Mot DVR was a 6-pin connector, as was the port on my PC, hence a 6-6 cable. Also, be aware that the Firewire spec limits cable length to 15 ft - any longer and you'll need to get a "repeater" cable. I got mine at Cable Wholesale, FWIW.

[Edit: also, if you weren't aware, fairly concise instructions/info here:
    http://replayguide.sourceforge.net/dct6412/index.html - that's what I used to set up and capture to XP. Worked fine.]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks ofbarea and jim44.

So jim44 - if I get a standard noname firewire card then all I should need is a 6pin to 6pin cable to go from the dvr to the pc? Sounds good.

Is this easily doable with vista?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    thanks ofbarea and jim44.

So jim44 - if I get a standard noname firewire card then all I should need is a 6pin to 6pin cable to go from the dvr to the pc? Sounds good.
    I believe that's all. Just make sure the firware card is OHCI(?) compliant. That seemed to be the one key thing to look for when I bought a firewire card several years ago.

Heck, I may still have it in a drawer, not currently being used. Email or PM me, and if I do have it, I can sent it to you.

Is this easily doable with vista?
    Is anything easily doable in Vista? Sorry, saw the shot....

Check the link in my [Edit] above, it should provide some help, either at that page or the links therein. I seem to recall it's doable, but I tended not to pay too much attention as I'm on XP.

Jim

[Edit (again): You may have to slog through the AVS Forum thread that's the first link at the Replayguide site, since it on references XP. Sorry about that.]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks jim44. I'll try to remember the ohci compliance bit.

I do have an xp machine but I'd prefer to use my vista pc as its got more power. Plus the xp machine is tehtered to my dsl router and wifi g router so I'd prefer not to have to move THAT around too often. Plus the vista pc has windows media center to boot
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hardware is easy, drivers are needed. This is an old step by step link. There are probably better links that others have found.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?postid=3818890
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks eddv.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Warning for Vista. That driver referenced works in Vista but crashes to blue screen if a DV application is opened while the IEEE-1394 cable is connected to the Comcast box. I use my XP machine to avoid that happening.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks eddv.

I bought the firewire card and cable today. Seems to be working just fine.

I found a link for the 3416 model and seems to be going good. I was able to recognize it and get it going.

As far as the dv notice thanks but I don't have a dv camera yet. Also if I were to do that I do have a liteon dvd recorder with a firewire input that I could use instead of vista. I would be able to do straight caps to the disc and edit later on the pc.

-------

Are there any file size guides on high def captures for this hddvr? What is a typical 2 hour high def movie going to take to store it?

What size harddrive would I need for multiple movies? i think I might want to look into a 500gb internal harddrive. Would that be sufficient for capping off of firewire?

Also what about the possibility of spliting the file onto multpile dvdrs for storage? What I would like is to use either multiple single layer or dual layer discs and preserve the high def without downconverting.

Or since I think I may seriously leave my pc with my hdtv possibly converting to divx. Would h264 be better for storage purposes? Would it be conceivable to preserve 720p in a container format in a small enough file size to fit a dual layer disc? Would such compression be a waste of time and discs?

Any guides for this storage question would be appreciated. Thanks everyone.
    Quote Quote