VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've recently run into two XviD files that would not play correctly on my Philips DVD player, even though they looked fine on my PC.

My usual method is to burn a DVD using Deep Burner in the CD File mode (No multisession), and select the file from the player's menu.

After snagging all the episodes of the "Tin Man" SciFi series, I whipped up a DVD and enjoyed two out of the three parts. The third file had blocky video.

I have already reencoded and reburned the DVD, so I'm not going to ask how to fix the problem. Rather, I want to be able to identify future problems before burning the disk.

I thought the problem might be GMC/QPEL related, as that is a known limitation with the Philips player. But, after squeezing the info out of the offending file (with GSpot), I see that GMC and QPEL are not being used.

The only significant difference between the two good files and the one bad file is the codec:

Good codec = XviD 1.1.2 Final
    Bad codec = XviD ISO MPEG-4

The same (blocky video) symptoms showed up again with a file that was encoded using "XviD 1.1.0 Beta 2".

Does anyone know of any problems with these codecs as releated to the Philips player? Is there another file aspect that could be the cause?

Here is a table showing the file particulars according to GSpot. Blank entries and Audio information were removed.

Code:
    FILE_NAME                 tin.man.part.1.avi   Tin.Man.Part.2.avi   Tin.Man.Part.3.avi
    FILE_SIZE                 735,733,760          734,294,016          734,218,240
    CONT_AUDIO_STREAM_COUNT   1                    1                    1
    CONT_BASETYPE             AVI(.AVI)            AVI(.AVI)            AVI(.AVI)
    CONT_BYTES_MISSING        0                    0                    0
    CONT_INTERLEAVE_ALIGN     Aligned              Aligned              Aligned
    CONT_INTERLEAVE_PRELOAD   504                  504                  504
    CONT_INTERLEAVE_TIME      42                   42                   42
    CONT_SUBTYPE              OpenDML (AVI v2.0),  OpenDML (AVI v2.0),  OpenDML (AVI v2.0),
    CONT_TOTAL_BITRATE        0                    0                    0
    VIDEO_BITRATE             985                  1018                 1041
    VIDEO_CODEC_NAME          XviD 1.1.2 Final     XviD 1.1.2 Final     XviD ISO MPEG-4
    VIDEO_CODEC_TYPE          XVID                 XVID                 XVID
    VIDEO_DAR                 1.773                1.773                1.773
    VIDEO_DURATION            1:27:25              1:24:39              1:23:38
    VIDEO_FRAME_COUNT         125749               121759               120311
    VIDEO_FRAMES_PER_SEC      23.976               23.976               23.976
    VIDEO_MPEG4               MPEG-4               MPEG-4               MPEG-4
    VIDEO_MPEG4_BVOP          B-VOP                B-VOP                B-VOP
    VIDEO_PAR                 1                    1.000                1.000
    VIDEO_PICS_PER_SEC        23.976               23.976               23.976
    VIDEO_QF                  0.187                0.193                0.198
    VIDEO_SAR                 1.773                1.773                1.773
    VIDEO_SIZE_X              624                  624                  624
    VIDEO_SIZE_Y              352                  352                  352
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The following things can be problems on any DVD player that supports Divx/Xvid:

1) GMC (rarely supported and if it is supported, ONLY for 1 warp point, despite claims to support 3 warp points)
    2) QPel (Quarter Pixel)
    3) Packed bit stream (the Philips DVP-642 absolutely will NOT play these files, if that's your player model. Fix with MPEG4Modifier.)
    4) Resolutions greater than 720x576
    5) Video bit rates above 2000 Kbps. In fact, some chips will require your video bit rate to be as low as 1400 Kbps or maybe less if your audio is anything other than MP3).

File sizes larger than 2 GB can also have playback problems. Philips DVD players typically don't have issues with VBR MP3 playback, although other player may.

If your audio is AAC, that MIGHT be a problem, although usually Philips players just play these files silently rather than not at all. If your files are not in an AVI container, this can also be a big problem. Some Philips players won't touch MP4 containers. Others will.

I'd look for file sizes larger than 2 GB and packed bit stream as the likely causes of your issues. Also check to see if your files are in MP4 containers (most likely their names will end in .MP4). Whatever your problem is, it is definitely NOT a codec issue.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My only thought (after reading a similar post earlier today) would be B-VOP. The other user found information stating players have problems with files containing more than a single B-VOP. I don't know if it is true or not, just something for you to investigate.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    many thanks jman98 iam really grateful
    Quote Quote  
  5. Using Quantisation Matrices other than the standard 2 produces AVIs that won't play well in ESS chipset DVD/MPEG-4 players. You get these colored blocks which may be what you experienced.
    Quote Quote