VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Hi folks --

I just purchased a brand new LG Super Multi DVD Rewriter and burned a bunch of movies to DVD discs, with Nero 7 (came with the new drive). The problem is that some of the movies play fine on my LG LDA-730 standalone player, and others go out of sync a little bit into the flic.

I've seen in other boards people talking about Nero 7 being the problem. Funny thing is when I take the same disc that was out of sync on the LDA and slap it into my pc, the movie plays fine. When I was using an earlier version of Nero this was still happening.

I've read so much about this problem and it seems that no one is in agreement as to what the actual issue is.

Can anyone provide some info? I'd be forever grateful.

Search Comp PM
    Use IMGBURN to burn dvd media. NERO is buggy as hell.

Search Comp PM
    Unlikely to be a burn software problem.

What are you using to author this DVD?

4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budz
    Thanks, I'll give this a try.

5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oldandinthe way
    Unlikely to be a burn software problem.

What are you using to author this DVD?
    Not sure what you mean by "author." These files are true DVD, they're just stripped down avi files.

6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I meant to say they aren't true DVD files, vob and all that. Just avi's. Not sure if this answers your q. Btw, I'm awfully noob at this.

7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    RailheaD - We are missing a very important piece of information. Which of these 2 are you doing?
    1) You are using Nero to burn DVDs that are already in DVD format (VIDEO_TS directory, VOB and IFO files, etc.) and are NOT using Nero to convert anything.
    2) You are using Nero to convert files, perhaps AVI files, to DVD format and then burning those to disc.

If #2, you should understand that Nero is a very poor conversion tool and can cause this kind of problem. ConvertXtoDVD is highly regarded by many here and apparently easy for inexperienced users to use, which would be why you might use Nero to begin with. Nero is very easy to use, but it's not very good.

There are various technical reasons why your DVDs will go out of sync on a DVD player, but let's just simply say that PCs are more forgiving than DVD players are.

Search Comp PM
    If what you are doing is the third alternative - copying AVI files as data to DVD. The program which encoded these files to AVI is the likely offender in screwing up the sync.

There is no way for Nero or any other burning program to screw it up if all you are doing is copying the avi files to DVD.

Alternatively your player may not have proper support for this format.

9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    RailheaD - We are missing a very important piece of information. Which of these 2 are you doing?
    1) You are using Nero to burn DVDs that are already in DVD format (VIDEO_TS directory, VOB and IFO files, etc.) and are NOT using Nero to convert anything.
    2) You are using Nero to convert files, perhaps AVI files, to DVD format and then burning those to disc.

If #2, you should understand that Nero is a very poor conversion tool and can cause this kind of problem. ConvertXtoDVD is highly regarded by many here and apparently easy for inexperienced users to use, which would be why you might use Nero to begin with. Nero is very easy to use, but it's not very good.

There are various technical reasons why your DVDs will go out of sync on a DVD player, but let's just simply say that PCs are more forgiving than DVD players are.
    What I'm exactly doing is this: Downloading avi flics and burning them on a DVD disc. That's it. No conversion. At least I don't think so. Just creating a data disc of avi's on a dvd disc.

10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If what you are doing is the third alternative - copying AVI files as data to DVD. The program which encoded these files to AVI is the likely offender in screwing up the sync.

There is no way for Nero or any other burning program to screw it up if all you are doing is copying the avi files to DVD.

Alternatively your player may not have proper support for this format.
    Again, all these movies play fine on the PC; I do check them before burning. And my LG LDA-730 plays divx, xvid, blah blah. So, yep, it supports the avi's and codecs. If it didn't I likely wouldn't be able to view them.

Search Comp PM
    Whatever the problem is you are not causing it by burning the DVD.

Either the original source to create the AVI was screwed up (common in the US when people capture from Comcast Digital cable).

The program which created the AVI lost sync.

Or

Your player loses sync. You might try another player.

I don't think you can remedy this without re-encoding the AVIs.

12. Banned
    Search Comp PM

Either the original source to create the AVI was screwed up (common in the US when people capture from Comcast Digital cable).

Or

Are folks pretty much in agreement with this? As I said in my first post I've heard a lot of reasons for this happening. Maybe I should go check out some reviews on this player. Thanks to you all for your input.

Search Comp PM
    Players have bugs. They are not using the identical codecs to your PC. They are using "equivalent" codecs.

Nothing is absolute and equal.

Testing on your PC is meaningless - your software player may be more tolerant of encoding errors. Your player may be less tolerant or buggy. The avi file can be correct or incorrect.

There's a lot of almost working in this technology.

14. Banned
    Search Comp PM

Or

BTW, what type of a standalone do you use? Have you ever seen this problem with yours? I simply ask, because if you don't have this problem maybe I'll buy the same unit.

15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Players have bugs. They are not using the identical codecs to your PC. They are using "equivalent" codecs.

Nothing is absolute and equal.

Testing on your PC is meaningless - your software player may be more tolerant of encoding errors. Your player may be less tolerant or buggy. The avi file can be correct or incorrect.

There's a lot of almost working in this technology.
    I take it you're saying here, you dont' know what the problem could be.

16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Hades, I can't even see much for reviews on this and the only ones I did find mention nothing of a sync problem.

17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budz
    Well, my first try burning an ISO with this software and all I get is "there is a problem with the CD. it may be dirty. please clean the CD and try again."

It isn't dirty and I don't know what's up. Oh well, not my day I guess.

18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    RailheaD - Download the free Gspot program and examine your AVI files for VBR MP3 audio. I'll bet that you will find that everyone of your problem files has VBR MP3 audio.

The fix is that you have demux the audio stream. VirtualDubMod lets you save the audio stream as WAV. You can convert that to CBR MP3 and remux that back into the video, removing the VBR audio stream, and hopefully the new file will play without problems. VBR MP3 audio is a problem for many DVD players that play Divx. I wish VBR MP3 had never been invented because it has very little practical use (the space savings it designed to produce are negligible and becoming more and more pointless in today's world of increasing cheap storage) and all it does is cause problems.

19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    RailheaD - Download the free Gspot program and examine your AVI files for VBR MP3 audio. I'll bet that you will find that everyone of your problem files has VBR MP3 audio.

The fix is that you have demux the audio stream. VirtualDubMod lets you save the audio stream as WAV. You can convert that to CBR MP3 and remux that back into the video, removing the VBR audio stream, and hopefully the new file will play without problems. VBR MP3 audio is a problem for many DVD players that play Divx. I wish VBR MP3 had never been invented because it has very little practical use (the space savings it designed to produce are negligible and becoming more and more pointless in today's world of increasing cheap storage) and all it does is cause problems.
    Ok, just tried what you suggest (er, the G-Spot bit anyway) and it seems to be the case. One avi that was completely out of sync had VBR and the one that played fine, CBR.

Now, about the other stuff you mentioned . . . it's kinda greek to me, but since I have already downloaded these programs, I'll give it a shot and get back to you. Thanks.

20. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Oops. Stopped in my tracks. What am I supposed to do at this point. Sorry man, this is all news to me.

well, I clicked both yes and no in two trials, and all I get is Xvid unrecognized format.

erg

21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Not sure if this is a kosher topic in here but I use eem ool to download stuff. Are you familiar with anyway to tell if a file you're getting is VBR or CBR. I've been looking but in the audio descriptions it doesn't seem to get that deep into the info.

22. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Install koepis xvid codec.
    Select Yes that you want to rewrite the header to cbr.
    Select audio->full compression, file->save wav to make a new wav.
    Select the new wav as audio source, Audio->wav source
    Select audio->compression and choose mp3 compression
    Select video->direct stream copy.
    And last file->save as avi to make a new avi with mp3 cbr audio.

I think I have seen some simple ffmpeg or mencoder scripts that does this in one step but can't remember where.

23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RailheaD
    Oops. Stopped in my tracks. What am I supposed to do at this point. Sorry man, this is all news to me.
    Click "No". Then go to "Streams" -> "Stream List". You should get a small window that opens up showing you the audio stream. Right click and select "Full Processing Mode". Then select the "Save WAV" button, and save. I do this all the time for any VBR audio file I get (pretty much any of the IPTV shows from Revision3, for example).

Once that's done, you should be able to add the WAV in as a stream in the same Stream List window, using "Add" (and then possibly remove the VBR MP3 stream). I haven't worked with this capability much, so I can't be much more help. But that should get you started.

Go forth and experiment

Hope that helps,
    Jim

[Edit: Or Baldrick's way Couple of ways to skin this cat, it seems.]

24. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick

I think I have seen some simple ffmpeg or mencoder scripts that does this in one step but can't remember where.
    Not sure how to select audio as I dont see this option. Look . . .

25. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    My explanation is for virtualdub and jims for virtualdubmod.

26. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jim44
    Originally Posted by RailheaD
    Click "No". Then go to "Streams" -> "Stream List". You should get a small window that opens up showing you the audio stream. Right click and select "Full Processing Mode". Then select the "Save WAV" button, and save. I do this all the time for any VBR audio file I get (pretty much any of the IPTV shows from Revision3, for example).

Once that's done, you should be able to add the WAV in as a stream in the same Stream List window, using "Add" (and then possibly remove the VBR MP3 stream). I haven't worked with this capability much, so I can't be much more help. But that should get you started.

Go forth and experiment :)

Hope that helps,
    Jim

[Edit: Or Baldrick's way :) Couple of ways to skin this cat, it seems.]
    thanks, I'll try it this way and see if it works.

27. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    My explanation is for virtualdub and jims for virtualdubmod.
    Ah, gotcha. I only have virtualDubMod. :>

Thanks for clarifying this.

Nice if I spelled things right, eh?

28. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by "Jim44
    won't a wav file, though, create a much larger end-file, avi?

29. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I'm at this point and haven't found a way to strip the original audio, nor to combine the new audio with the original video.

30. Banned
    Search Comp PM

Ok, giving virtualdub a try. Where you say "Select audio->full compression" I only see compression and full processing mode. Did you mean to say full processing mode?
    Blah, ignore this. I just chose full processing and file save as wav, and it's working on it.

BTW, it didn't ask the yes or no question on startup this time. And I did install the new Xvid codec as you suggested.

You are in breach of the forum rules and are being issued with a formal warning.
    / Moderator mats.hogberg