VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I am starting to ponder using my vista pc as a windows media center full time (or at least in partial ways).

One purchase that would cinch it would be if I get that 200.00 Bluray-rom player then I would use it on my 32inch westinghouse.

My question is are there software dvd programs that upconvert over component cables?

I have an nvidia 8400 and uses a breakout box to allow hook up through component cables. I can also acquire a dvi-hdmi converter if I should get the bluray-rom player.

What my intention would be is to use my pc for most media and for future bluray use. It would also replace the current insignia upconverting dvd player that I'm using. That way I wouldn't need to get an hdmi switcher. I would only need my two input jacks for my hd-dvr and the computer with the dvi-hdmi converter.

So is there software that upconverts standard def dvds to 720p/1080i? My set only does 720p/1080i with a 1366x768 resolution (lcd).

Thanks in advance.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  2. So is there software that upconverts standard def dvds to 720p/1080i? My set only does 720p/1080i with a 1366x768 resolution (lcd).
    Are you saying it won't accept a 480i or 480p source and upconvert it to 1366x768? If so, I'm not sure I believe you. What about all those people that use non-progressive scan DVD players with an HDTV? Or those that use progressive scan players, but prefer to let the TV do the upconverting?

If your TV won't accept regular old DVDs without upscaling, I'd say there's some other reason besides the video not being 720p or 1080i. Anyway, you can do what you want using a combination of AviSynth and ffdshow. There's an AVS Forums sticky with all the information you'll need to get started:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=719041
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks manono

What I am asking is if dvd player software on the pc side will do any upscaling BEFORE it reaches the tv.

Plain 480p looks pretty flat on the tv. When I use the upconverting dvd player it looks a lot better at 720p. I am interested in knowing for future use if the pc would be capable of upconverting.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I was editing as you were answering. Read up at the link I added.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks manono.

Is this what the reference is for on media player classic for example?

Would that be enough to enable upscaling? I don't have my pc with my hdtv right now. I'm not sure when I'd move it back again for testing.

Quote Quote  
  6. I don't know what that pic's from, and I don't use an HTPC, so I can't help. I only posted the link. There's a lot of other information, stickies and threads, that you might find useful in that AVS HTPC forum.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Among many, you have two main options.

1. Feed 480p to the TV over analog component or DVI-D to HDMI cable and let the TV handle the upscale to 1366x768.

2. Feed VGA at 1366x768 using the display card to do the upscale.

A third option is to output 1280x720p over analog component or DVI-D to HDMI cable and let the TV handle the upscale of 1280x720 to 1366x768.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks manono and eddv. I'll keep these in mind. Perhaps the dvi-hdmi route might be the best road with the 720p configuration.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Depending on the TV, you may get overscan going in the HDMI port. MCE menus are centered so there is little issue. It becomes a problem if you use the full Windows desktop. In that case the VGA "PC port" works better. Most TV sets won't overscan the PC port.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why are you using component cables? Surely you have VGA and/or DVI connections?

Set your resolution to 1366x768 or whatever is closest and use a good video renderer that does upscaling in graphics hardware.
    I recommend Haali renderer. Other suitable renderers are VMR9 and EVR. You select the renderer in the output tab in MPC.

If you want to use VMR9, select renderless, enable rendering in 3d textures and choose bicubic as resizer. I like Haali's renderer much more, though. It does a better job at resizing and you are able to tweak it more than VMR9, e.g you can enable TV->PC levels conversion and select correct color range.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks mara-23.

Actually I found out last night that VLC works pretty well at upscaling to 1080i (well to 1366x768). It looks darn good in fact.

I do plan on buying a dvi to hdmi adapter soon. I have seen the adapters for around 30.00. I intend to use the pc for dvds instead of my upconverting dvd player. I want to use it as much as possible for media.

FYI I do have a vga port on the hdtv but no dvi input (2 hdmi inputs of course).

I have just bought and downloaded POWERDVD ULTRA this morning for my xbox 360 hddvd drive. It was weird that it said it couldn't output dvd res at 1360x768 and wanted me to lower the resolution. I intend to try again for optimized upscaling through powerdvd ultra.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    Thanks mara-23.

Actually I found out last night that VLC works pretty well at upscaling to 1080i (well to 1366x768). It looks darn good in fact.

I do plan on buying a dvi to hdmi adapter soon. I have seen the adapters for around 30.00. I intend to use the pc for dvds instead of my upconverting dvd player. I want to use it as much as possible for media.

FYI I do have a vga port on the hdtv but no dvi input (2 hdmi inputs of course).

I have just bought and downloaded POWERDVD ULTRA this morning for my xbox 360 hddvd drive. It was weird that it said it couldn't output dvd res at 1360x768 and wanted me to lower the resolution. I intend to try again for optimized upscaling through powerdvd ultra.
    Output resolution is a function of your display card. You don't alter the file. If you have your display card set to output 1366x768 to the TV, the player applications will see this as "full Screen" or Theater output depending on how your display card is set.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I did a comparison between VLC's and MPC's upscaling. In VLC I chose DX3D (which I think is VMR-9) as output and I had to disable hardware YUV->RGB conversion since TV range seemed to be preserved, making black look more like dark grey.
    In MPC, I used Haali renderer with 0.80 sharpness and BT.709 color range.
    The source for upscaling is a 1280x536 H.264 video and it was upscaled to 1680x704.

What I think:
    There are subtle differences, but not much... The colors are a bit off on VLC, I think. It seems that VMR-9 uses BT.601 color range for everything, while this video is BT.709, as it's in HD.

vlcmpc.jpg
    Quote Quote