VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I finished editing a short student film using Avid Xpress. A friend of mine wrote hearing impaired subtitles and carefully synchronized them. The subtitles are in SRT format, which I can easily convert into any other textual format (SUB, SSA etc).
    I'd like to EMBED the subtitles in the video file, so the final DVD will contain the movie with the merged titles.
    How can I do that?
    I found lots of information regarding Virtualdub and embedding subtitles into Xvid/Divx videos, but I don't want to use any external program that will cause loss of quality to the original video.

Thanks,
    Jane
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Use a dvd authoring tool with subtitle support like tda 3, dvd-lab pro, gui for dvd author.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Baldrick
    Use a dvd authoring tool with subtitle support like tda 3, dvd-lab pro, gui for dvd author.
    Hi,

I'd rather nor re-render the video using an external program since this might effect its quality.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could also try autogk. load your video file, then click ctrl+f8 to bring up the subtitle prompt, next load your subtitle.

Press 'add job' then 'start'-wait for the process to finish and voila!

rx
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jane.mayers1
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    Hi,

I'd rather nor re-render the video using an external program since this might effect its quality.
    Authoring doesn't reencode. It'll just add the subtitle stream.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  6. Someone suggested I'd use some program to create a video with a green background and the subtitles running. Then import this video to Avid and make the green background transparent.
    Do you have any idea if this will work, and how can I do that?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Might work, but it'd sure be a roundabout way of doing it. If you can create a green screen with subtitles rendered, you may as well render them on the real video.
    If you are creating a Video DVD use real DVD subtitles!

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  8. This way I won't have to process my video in an external application and worry about damaging the quality (except the quality of the subtitles…).

BUT: Do you how can I generate this green screen?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Adding "real" DVD subtitles does not process your video. The video, audio and subtitles are assembeled in VOB(s) as part of the authoring process. No stream is touched/processed; just put into an "envelope".
    Creating permanent subtitles, do however require you to reencode your video.
    I really have no good idea how to create this green background you're looking for. I'd imagine one could use AviSynth to create it, or simply point your camera to a green paper? When I think of it, AviSynth can do it, and even render the subtitles as you go.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately I need to embed the subtitles in the video file (those are the guidelines).
    I understand it's required to reencode the video, but I wish to reencode it using AVID rather than an external program.
    Would you kindly explain me how to create this "green screen" + subtitles video using AviSynth?

Thanks,
    Jane
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not really, but:
    Code:
    BlankClip(Length=250, width=720, height=576, fps=25, color=$00FF00)
    TextSub("c:\subtitles.srt")
    Feed this script to an encoder (like VirtualDub) and save as AVI or whatever.
    Google for Avisynth + BlankClip or Avisynth + TextSub for details.
    gs.wmv

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    [ deleted ]
    Quote Quote