VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi I would really appreciate If there is any info if I can replace my dead hard drive in my DVR 533Hs with a
    working hard drive from a DVR 640Hs. As I am hoping this might be a alternative to replacing my recorder.

Thank You
    Any Info Would Be Appreciated
    gordo1811
    Quote Quote  
  2. The short answer is no, you can't do a simple swap, the 533 has extra software recorded on its hard drive that runs ALL timer programming, whether or not you actually use the TVGOS system, and this software is not on your 640 drive. There are ways to record a fresh copy of the TVGOS software onto your replacement drive but it is more difficult than most people would want to attempt. Also you need a remote that can fake the special Pioneer service codes and you need the service disc DVD. It is certainly doable but not the easiest thing in the world if you are unfamiliar with this kind of servicing. There are a few endless threads on this forum that give details, but the advice by trhouse that you consult the Pioneer Faq website is your best bet for concise information all in one place. Note trhouse is one of the folks who were instrumental in distributing the ways and means to transfer the special 531-533-633 timer software between hard drives: all us Pioneer owners should personally thank him (thanks, trhouse!). I have now repaired several 531, 533 and 633 units myself using the methods on Pioneer Faq and can confirm they work well, but results vary depending on your computer and there are some gotchas to watch out for.
    Quote Quote