VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is the format ( avi, mpeg2 etc) important when I go to burn it to dvd.

Here is what I am trying to achieve. I have several videos that are in flv, avi and wma and mpeg2.
    I have been using nero 7 to burn them to dvd. (except for the flv which i convet to avi).

Does it matter which format I use?
    Doesnt Nero take what ever i give it and change the format for something playable on a dvd, anyway?
    I will be playing these dvds in ,in newer and some older stand alone dvd players. Nero also recomends their digital mpeg4 why?
    finally, as I collect my videos i usually dump them into afolder and convert them all to avi anyway.This also seems wrong, any suggestions.

Many Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    OK....

If you want to play your video on most DVD players, it needs to be in MPEG format. You can look to the upper left on this page for 'WHAT IS' DVD to see the specification, format and structure of a DVD.

If you have a Divx video player, then you could use Divx or Xvid player compliant videos.

Nero digital is unlikely to play on any set top player.

Nero is not a great converter. If you want a better one, look into ConvertXtoDVD. Or freeware, FAVC or even SUPER.

Different video formats require different programs and methods to convert to a DVD usable format. One program is very unlikely to do it all.

You need to do a bit of study on video formats.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for the assistance.
    I have read and found very helpfull the User guides.
    I have been taking flv then converting it to AVI using SUPER then burning to DVD with NERO.
    Wouldnt I be better off just converting everything to MPEG2 using super.
    I should also maintain all my video files in MPEG2.

What do you think.
    When I download these video files they come in all these different formats.

Why bother with AVI and FLV and WMV. I will only be using these videos on my computer or on my DVD player?
    I should just convert everything to MPEG2
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah just convert to mpeg2 with proggies rewudz suggested,and skip nero all together......
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote