VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm planning to buy a DVD recorder and I want it to record copy-once programs. I've read the manuals of some recorders and they state that in order to record copy-once programs, you need to use DVD-RW media that is CPRM compatible ver 1.1 or 1.2. The problem is that no media that I've seen so far in stores specify this. I have asked employees and they have no clue. Are all newly available DVD-RW media CPRM compatible? if not, how do I know and where can I find them?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Email the mfrs. I think this was an initiative.. possibly now defunct.. I dont think such things exist(copy once programs) altho I stand to be corrected.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RabidDog
    Email the mfrs. I think this was an initiative.. possibly now defunct.. I dont think such things exist(copy once programs) altho I stand to be corrected.
    That will be bad, my understanding is that if CPRM compatible media is not available, almost all modern recorders will not record copy-once programming (movies in premium channels). According to the manual, you will not be able to record copy-once programming if media is not CPRM compatible.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RabidDog
    I dont think such things exist(copy once programs) altho I stand to be corrected.
    It does, try recording any movie from premium channel. If your recorder doesn't record copy-once programs, you'll get an error, if your recorder support CPRM and you have CPRM compatible media, it will. I'll learned that the hard way, I bought a recorder (Philips 3475) and when I attempted to record a movie from HBO I got an error right away.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Cont... (sorry clicked submit before finishing)

... then I checked the manual (Philips 3475) and discovered that this unit will not record copy-once programs. I returned the unit and later found some units that will record copy-once programs but the media have to be CPRM compatible. I will buy one of this units but I want to make sure that this CPRM media is available.

Copy-once means that you are able to record the content but not able to make further copies.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You will have to try a recorder that also uses DVD-RAM disk. DVD-Ram disk for video recording (cartridge less) have dropped sharply in price; check out the Panasonic 5-Pack at BestBuy.

I can't determine online if they comply with CPRM. I know you will not find any plus or minus, write once or re-writable DVD media in the U.S. that does. It will be DVD-RAM or nothing.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, bite my tongue.

I know that the recording of "Record Once" programs is supposed to be possible using a CPRM recorder (in VR mode) on DVD-RW disk. But I don't know anyone who has been able to do it. My brother has used Verbatim, Sony, Imation (made by Phillips) and Memorex DVD-RW and failed to do so with three different brands of CPRM capable DVD recorders. They were all returned. The last one was a Sony.

But here you will find JVC DVD-RW, Ver. 1.1, CPRM. Maybe it is possible!

http://www.amazon.com/Jvc-Vdw47Eu5-Dvd-Rw-5-Pk-4X/dp/B0002EGFK8#moreAboutThisProduct
    Quote Quote