VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would like to rip a DVD I own into one file for conversion. When I rip in IFO F mode, there are two PGC files under VTS_01. What is this? Do I need to rip both and join together?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just rip the larger one. The other is just an intro or something. You don't need it.

I just mounted a DVD iso and opened it with DVD Decrypter. It happened to have two PGCs listed under VTS_01, like yours. The first PGC was an hour and 20 minutes long, the second was 20 seconds. Opening it in DVDShrink, I found the second PGC by its length. It was listed in the "Extras" section. I played it in the small Shrink window and saw that it was animated logos for 2 companies involved in the movie's production.

The other 3 entries in the "Extras" section all had their own VTS_0x, but that first one was grouped under the main movie's VTS.

When playing the movie in PowerDVD, the logos played just before the main movie started.

If you think it might be something you'd want, just check it out as above. If you want to combine it with the main PGC, I'd encode them separately using the same settings, then join with Vdub, assuming you're making an AVI.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm a beginner. It seems the video has ywo parts of about equal size. Is there a way to tell DVD Decryptor that I want them joined? I am using Nero Digital for conversion for an iPod. Can I join the two files together in Nero? Is this also possible in other tools?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think you can do that with DVD Decrypter, but I wouldn't swear to anything around here. I will say that, after ripping a few hundred DVDs in IFO mode using DVD Decrypter, I've never _needed_ to do it.

The only DVDs I recall with multiple large PGCs under the same VTS were episodic discs such as TV series. On those I would just rip and encode each PGC separately.

I haven't used Nero Digital for a couple of years, and don't have an Ipod. Hopefully someone else here can help you with that.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Can I join the two files together in Nero?
    You almost certainly don't want to join them. They're probably 2 different angles of the same movie. Had you decrypted them both to separate folders and had a look, you'd probably know this already.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ity seems they are two 1 hour programs designed for TV.
    Quote Quote  
  7. So you decrypted them both and had a look? Why didn't you know what was on the DVD to begin with? You could always play the DVD and find out. And why would you want to join them? Encode them separately.

If you still want to join them, then you might decrypt in File Mode and load the VOBs into whatever conversion program you're using.
    Quote Quote