VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    Avi to Ac3 is a frontend GUI for several apps (wavi, ssrc, ,sox, soxmix, aften) that will encode the audio from single or multiple avi or mpeg files to AC3 (2 or 5.1 channel) in one step.
    Files able to convert are avi, avs, or mpeg~with mpa/mp2 audio.

Tools required
    *Avisynth ~ Don't worry. You don't have to know how to write a script. It is just required for the app to work.

Avi to Ac3 can encode single or multiple files. This guide will take you through both.

First let's look at batch file processing.
    To have a successful encode follow these steps.

1. Select your source files directory.

2. Select your output directory.

3. Select your Dither if needed. If you have no idea what dither is just leave it at zero. Click Dither to learn what dither is.

4. Select your AC3 bitrate here.

5a Press this if you are just doing a 2 channel AC3 encoding.

5b Press this if you want to upmix 2 channel source audio to 5.1 AC3

5c Press this if your avi source audio is already 5.1 (mp3 or wav) and you want to encode to 5.1 AC3

6. Lastly press "Start Your Batch"

You can follow the progress by going to the log window. As the app is working it will print text data to the log window so you can follow the process. If at any time you need to cancel the encode just press the "Terminate Process" button. One word of caution, Terminate Process will close all open dos boxes so if you are using other apps through a dos box they will be closed as well.

Now let's look at single file processing.
    To have a successful encode follow these steps.

1. Select your source files directory.

2. Select your input file ( Avi or Avs )

3. Select your output file ( AC3 )

4. Select your Dither if needed. If you have no idea what dither is just leave it at zero. Click Dither to learn what dither is.

5. Select your AC3 bitrate here.

6a Press this if you are just doing a 2 channel AC3 encoding.

6b Press this if you want to upmix 2 channel source audio to 5.1 AC3

6c Press this if your avi source audio is already 5.1 (mp3 or wav) and you want to encode to 5.1 AC3

7. Lastly press "Process Single File"

Again you can follow the progress by going to the log window. As the app is working it will print text data to the log window so you can follow the process. If at any time you need to cancel the encode just press the "Terminate Process" button.

When finished you will have dvd compliant ac3 files.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    edit
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so when i try to create dvd with avi files, the audio does not transfer to the dvd an i make coasters... With the process described above will this fix this problem??? brand new to this thanx.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What kind of dvd are you making? Just a plain vanilla dvd capable of playing in any dvd player? What process and software did you use to to make the dvd that didn't work? I need more info to help you.

Avi to Ac3 is useful for creating dvd compatible audio files from your avi files. Popular video encoders like HCenc only work on the video. I created avi to ac3 to process the audio. Then you can author your video and audio files into a dvd with authoring software like guifordvdauthor.

If you need something to create both video and audio files that you can author into a dvd you might look at HCbatchGUI. I made that just for that purpose. It uses HCenc to encode your video and Aften to encode your audio.

There is also all in one software like FAVC that pretty much does everything for you. The only thing I don't like about most all in one solutions is that the menus you can make with them are very simple. That's why I prefer encoding my video and audio using HCbatchGUI and then authoring the dvd myself so that I can make very nice looking menus with separate dvd authoring software.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Freebird, Minor bug to report:
    'Terminate process' can not find the pskill.bat file because of a missing back-slash (\)
    Should be: avitoac3\pskill.bat not: avitoac3pskill.bat

best regards.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Ok. Thanks for reporting.
    Quote Quote