VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a pretty big MKV file (8.74 GB) with H264 video, AC3 and some subtitles and I want to convert this to a smaller MKV of size 7.94 GB so I can burn it on a DL-DVD. I don't want to change/shrink the audio or subtitles. I just want to lower the bitrate of the H264 video somewhat so it fits.

What is the fastest way to do this? And how do you get the highest quality video ?

What is the procedure and what programs do I need? Is there maybe something like a DVDShrink for MKVs?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe AutoMKV can import mkvs and reconvert to mkv. Or else demux the video from the mkv with mkvextractgui and reconvert with automkv or megui.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Baldrick
    Maybe AutoMKV can import mkvs and reconvert to mkv. Or else demux the video from the mkv with mkvextractgui and reconvert with automkv or megui.
    Thanks, Baldrick.

AutoMKV works for that, except subtitles are lost. I guess I have to use the MKVtoolnix tools for that.

They only problem is that it takes a lot of time because x264.exe reencodes the entire video. Isn't there something faster like DVDShrink which use the already encoded video but drops some information from that video instead of a lengthy full encode?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nope, no dvdshrink for mkv h264.
    Quote Quote