VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi I'm still new at all this and really need help I have a sony 60 inch SXRD 60A2020 tv I got last week wich says it will play at full 1080 hd I then got a pioneer DV 400 dvd player wich upconverts to 1080 p and 1080 i when my wife and I sat down to whatch a movie the (the holiday)I set the upconversion resolution to 1080 p on the dvd player and the movie flickerd continuosly and then did the same with 1080i and 720 it didnt play right until I set the dvd player to 420 so when does it upconvert to the better resolution I do have and upgrade next week on my sattelite tv to HD will this be full 1080 HD and do I need a blue ray or HD dvd PLayer to get 1080 0r even 720 on dvds what s all the hype about 1080 if I cant achieve it or is the pioneer not the right player, any help on this would be greatly appreciated,Thank to all,Alan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    We need a little more information in order to help you.

Between which connectors on the DVD player and the TV are you connected?

The DVD player will most likely not upconvert to 1080p over anything but an HDMI connection. 1080i would be the only 1080 signal you could get via component video. Using any connectors other than component video or HDMI will not yield any HD signal.

There are no cable or satellite HD signals in 1080p. Most are either 720p or 1080i.

The only source from which you will be able to receive 1080p is your DVD player, using HDMI.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi thank you for the reply currently I am using a HDMI connectio between the dvd player and the tv
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Since you are using HDMI, I would guess that either your DVD player or your TV is defective. When you get another HD source, such as your satellite service, if it displays well, then your DVD player may be defective, at least when it tries to output HD. If your TV displays poorly with your satellite service as well, it may be your TV is defective.
    There may be some possibility it is a faulty HDMI cable or HDMI connector on either your TV or your DVD player. Cheap cables can cause problems. Try connecting your DVD player to your TV using component video and see if things look any better. If they do look better, try using a different HDMI cable, or even try wiggling the HDMI cable to see if it is bad.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you great advice I'll try the component connection first and if that doesnt work it could be the cable they were cheap ones off e bay thanks again for tyhe reply,Alan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You may also want to verify the video setup on your DVD player. You should have choices for output type (HDMI/Component).

You may also want to get out the TV manual and experiment. That model Sony seems to have many different options to "enhance" playback quality. It may be better to set everything to default and start from scratch.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for youre advice I'll check the manual again but I did keep changing the resolution on the dvd player itself from 1080i to 1080 p down to 720 and then finally getiing a picture at both 420i and 420p I was wondering also if it were a bad HDMI cable wouldnt it show a problem at all resolutio n settings?Alan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's probable that if the HDMI cable is bad, that all signals would be affected. However, it is possible (but not probable) that the cable could be defective in such a way as to only affect the higher bandwidths needed for the higher resolution signals.
    That's kind of why I recommended changing your HD input source to see if the problem is either in your DVD player or your TV.
    Trying the component video connections would also help you isolate the problem to the HDMI circuit (which would include the cable) or it might expand the possibilities to both HDMI and component video circuits. However, the problem could also be either in the HDMI output of the DVD player or the HDMI input of the TV. If the problem persists with the component input as well, it could be the entire DVD player output or the entire TV input.
    You really should have more that one HD input source to be able to isolate the problem better.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you I'm going to try both HDMI inputs on the tv and a different cable to try to isolate the problem even further I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks again ,Alan
    Quote Quote