VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I just got a cheap TV card. There are various settings. I choose one setting and made a a test video. (See Gspot screenshot of test video.)
    Looking at Gspot, it seems if I record about 2 hours of video, then the file size will be about 4.2GB which would just fill up a DVDr. If I then burn that file to a DVDr, my understanding is that some DVD players will not play that kind of MPEG2 file, and some computers won't play it unless the right codecs are installed. My questions is, if I just input the whole 4.2GB file into DVD Flick and make a DVD, will that lower the quality of the video? My idea is to convert the MPEG2 file into a standard DVD so that any DVD player can play it.

Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Your file seems to be DVD compliant, you likely just need to author it before burning to a DVD. You might look at GUI for dvdauthor for that. Those all in one converters may want to convert it again, and that would lose you quality. 4.2GB may be OK, as a DVD can hold about 4.37GB. That would allow you about 170MB extra space for authoring, maybe a bit tight, it would depend on how fancy your authoring, menus, etc., are for how much space they may take up.

Some Windows computers may not have a MPEG-2 codec installed from the 'factory', but it's easy enough to put one in or just use a player like VLC or similar that already has that codec.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the tip on GUI for dvdauthor. As this is a cheap TV card, I notice the picture quality (on air signal viewed on computer, not captured) is about like a VHS player that has seen too much wear on the heads. I suspect the RF circuitry is not too well designed. The video captured file seems the same as the on air signal.
    According to what you said about the file already being DVD compliant, then I would guess that GUI for dvdauthor could author a 2 hour video in a short time, maybe 30 minutes, does that sound right? I know that DVD Flick takes about 6 hours (2 pass) to author a 2 hour video. I would certainly like to avoid that unnecessary conversion process.
    Quote Quote