VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Lately I've been having a problem when reencoding with AutoGK. The video will have thin black bars on the left and right side of my 16:9 TV. I've messed around with the resolution settings with no success . For example, if I reencode a VOB file with a resolution of 720 x 480 and set the resolution to 720 in AutoGK, the AVI file will end up having a resolution of 720 x 416, which will leave thin bars on both sides of the screen. I've also tried auto width and that didnt work either.Anyone have any suggestions ???
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Does the video have these bars when played on the computer ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    Does the video have these bars when played on the computer ?
    No. When I play the vids on my TV, I use Xbox Media Center which displays all vids in their correct aspect ratio.
    Quote Quote  
  4. And you're using a regular 4:3 computer monitor, as opposed to a widescreen computer monitor? Then it doesn't really have any bearing on your "problem", except to show that AutoGK is really cropping away all the black.

720x416 is a ratio of 1.73:1. Your TV set is 1.78:1. It's slightly wider than is the video and it stands to reason that you'd get very slight bars if there's no overscan. To keep to Mod16 resolutions (height and width divisible by 16) with low or no AR error, if the source DVD is 1.78:1, (TV series DVDs, maybe), then it's not uncommon for AutoGK to do some additional cropping of the video.

You might try setting a width of 704. That should give you a width of 704x400 or 1.76:1, and a bit closer to 1.78:1.

Another thing you can try, and probably a better idea, is to go into the Hidden Options (CTRL-F9) and check the "Force ITU Resize Method" box. If I'm not mistaken, that'll get you 720x400 or 1.8:1. If that's what you get, there shouldn't be any more black bars on the sides, but if you truly have no overscan, it may introduce very, very slight black bars on the top and bottom.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks, i'll try that. I my pc monitor is widescreen.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Most widescreen monitors (as opposed to widescreen TVs being used as monitors) are 16:10, so they are slightly taller than your widescreen TV. This would explain why you get no bars on the PC, but slight ones on the TV
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Oh yeah, I forgot about that. And I'm sitting here looking at a widescreen computer monitor myself. Thanks. So the same reasoning applies to both. No pillarbars on a computer monitor, but slight bars on the TV.

However, I'm pretty surprised that he has small side bars on the TV. I thought even widescreen TV sets had at least a small amount of overscan. Mine does. Very small, but probably enough to hide the small bars from a 1.73:1 AVI.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the bars are defininetly too big for overscan to hide. What Manono suggested worked (Force ITU resize method).
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote