VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello all and thanks in advance for your help!

I am working on a VHS archive project on a budget using the tools I have. Here's what I've done so far.
    - Recorded VHS onto DVD+RW using a stand alone DVD recorder
    - Transfered VOB files onto my hard drive using a VOB to MPG extractor that combines all the files into one long file

Now I have one big MPG file with several family clips on it that I'd like to separate. For example, the first 5 minutes are of my wife playing in a band, the next 12 minutes are of a family play, the next 10 minutes are of something else, etc.

So, I'm looking for a program that I can preview the MPG and select where I want it split so I can separate each of the different events. I've found lots of programs that will allow you to split it into several files of equal times, but I'm struggling finding a program that allows you to specify where you want to split the file.

I'd like a free option that doesn't degrade the original video file. I know we could pull it into Movie Maker, but that re-encodes the files into WMA files and I'm afraid there will be some degradation of the original file.

If you don't know a free option, let me know an option that we would pay for. In this area, so far I've found VideoReDo which looks pretty nice.

THANKS for helping us preserve our family memories and provide a nice Christmas gift for our family!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    VideoRedo is the best. Free, it's Mpeg2Cut2
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    VirtualDub Mpeg is my personal favorite. You may need a plugin if your audio is AC3.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54
    VirtualDub Mpeg is my personal favorite. You may need a plugin if your audio is AC3.
    Except that you can't direct stream copy mpeg-2
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    Originally Posted by hech54
    Except that you can't direct stream copy mpeg-2
    I realized that after I typed it....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Roughcut/demux with DGIndex to seperate audio/video files
    Trim and adjust audio offset with Mpeg2Schnitt
    Multiplex with Imago muxer, or Muxman or Mplex(DVD Author)

Sounds like more work than it is. Actualy it's a fairly quick process. All free tools.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    demux the original vobs with vobedit

use cuttermaran to choose the sections you want, set to mux the audio and video together if you want mpegs to play on a pc for example.

if the audio isnt ac3, use ffmpeggui to change it.

bring these new segments into DVDAuthorGUI to create a DVD to play on a home player. you can even give it a menu and choose how files will behave with a bit of experimentation.

another way of looking at it might be: do you really want to do all this cutting? would you be just as happy simply creating a DVD that indexes each segment, so that you can skip to the next chapter?

in which case: demux the original VOB's with VOBEDIT
    if your audio isnt AC3, use ffmpeggui to change it
    then reauthor in DVDAuthorGUI and add chapters appropriate.
    (i admit, DVDauthorGUI's chaptering isnt as good as it might be)

best of all, all of these tools are free. good luck!
    never absorb anything bigger than your own head
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks all! I'll experiment with each of these when I get home (and probably over the course of a couple of days) to find the solution that works for me. I had tried VirtualDub and had the failure that you all expected.

Thanks for contributing to this amazing community. I'm still looking for ways I can contribute to forums like this, but I find my expertise is much less than many others.
    Quote Quote