VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi!

First time posting here and glad to find that there is such a forum as how to restore av.

I have some by a crappy Samsug camcorder captured and already to mpg's rendered video files and I want to make them as clean as possible. So Im using Vegas to render and edit and Dynamic Noise Reduction filter by Mike Crash to clean the noise. So the result is pretty good compared to the input, which was very noisy, but still not completely satisfying. Even after cleaning up the noise, there is still left a net like noise on the video.

So my question is that what is that and how to remove it? You can see the picture I added, especially when you look under the table. How to remove that network like noise?

Regards,
    Srivas

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That red/blue mist is "chroma noise". I hate it more than any other noise. It is a crosstalk type noise found on analog video tapes.

There are only three ways to remove chroma noise that I'm aware of:

1. The VCR playing a VHS tape must have a line TBC in it. I'm very specific here, so don't ask about other TBCs or other VCRs. This is very effective on the source tapes.

2. VirtualDub Chroma Noise Removal filter. It's about 50% effective, and it can cause other errors if set too high (ghosting, chroma trails, etc).

3. Use an LSI chipset DVD recorder. This is one of the main reasons I suggest JVC DVD recorders to folks.

I also see some blocks. Your bitrate is too low on the Samsung. SP mode uses low bitrate for the resolution, and it might not be sporting the best encoder. Some Samsungs had the horrid Panasonic chips in years past.

Try the MSU Deblock filter and the Static Noise Reduction filters in VirtualDub, to help clean up the block noise.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks Lordsmurf for a quick reply!

I heard that there is a plugin or something to import VDub filters to Vegas. Do you know how to do that? I've never used VDub(shame on me) before, but in Vegas I'll get the things done. 8)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm a Premiere user. Don't use Vegas. Make a new post, with "import VirtualDub filters into Vegas?" as the topic. Put it in the Editing or General forum. If that works, and it can be done, come back here to this post for help on using the filters.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Ok.
    Actually got it working, VDub filters. Im actually pretty happy that its possible to go even so far, but maybe its possible to go even further?

I opened a new thread for continuation, how to use convolution 3D (in my search I found opinions that this one is the best around for removing noise, so I want the best!), there is also visible the result I got by applying your instructions and playing around with the filters. Thanks

Though, I could not understand how this MSU Deblock filter is working, didnt see any difference in quality.
    Quote Quote