VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just puurchased a sony sxrd 60 inch rear projecion tv 1080 model KDS-60-A2020 I have a 3 year old pioneer dvd recorder with no upconversion I run the video signal through the composite video jacks on the tv and the dvd player the audio via optical digital jack from dvd player to the reciever the picture seems awesome so would I benefeit at all with a 1080 upconvert dvd player sending the video signal via HDMI to the tv? THanks,Alan
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi - Your panel is very very large but if you are placed 2½ meters (or more) from your panel, then you will properly not be able to see the fine details - Instead of black and white lines you will most likely see a greyish blur (and then it is wasted on you). But you should burn a dvd with alternating black and white lines etc. and do your own testing.

I've found this site regarding "Video Quality Test Streams" : http://www.w6rz.net/
    Take a look at the sections "Vertical Resolution Patterns" and "Horizontal Resolution Patterns".

The latest indeepth test of 6 major panel producers I read (size 42+ inch and up), came to the surpricing conclusion: NOT to waste money on Full HD (1080P) panels - But 60 inch is BIG and perhaps big enough to make sense.

Upconverting is the process of replacing "nothing" with "something" - which is a bit tricky !
    Your panel already do this for you - and could very well be much better at this, than a dvd upconverting player.

Look to: https://forum.videohelp.com/topic340965.html

regards Pol
    Quote Quote  
  3. It gets upconverted one way or another, either by a player or by the TV, in your case by the TV. The biggest picture quality improvement you can make is to toss out the composite cables and upgrade to at least component, but preferably HDMI (if your player supports it). Seriously, you'll get a big and obvious improvement by replacing the composite cables.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by manono
    The biggest picture quality improvement you can make is to toss out the composite cables and upgrade to at least component, but preferably HDMI
    Agreed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ultrabigal
    I just puurchased a sony sxrd 60 inch rear projecion tv 1080 model KDS-60-A2020 I have a 3 year old pioneer dvd recorder with no upconversion I run the video signal through the composite video jacks on the tv and the dvd player the audio via optical digital jack from dvd player to the reciever the picture seems awesome so would I benefeit at all with a 1080 upconvert dvd player sending the video signal via HDMI to the tv? THanks,Alan
    With this tv, I'd say using s-video or component would be a good improvement. I don't know that you'd gain a lot by using an upconverting player, as the Sony does pretty good at the upconverting already.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. I've found that a good quality DVD player is better at playback than recorders, so in that sense a player would look better. I've only used HDMI on a DVD recorder, the Sony TV looked better using component and letting the TV upconvert than using the recorder's upconversion through HDMI.
    Quote Quote  
  7. The OP typed "composite video jacks" (plural). He probably meant to type component video jacks. If he was using the low bandwidth composite video input on such a large TV it would probably look like crap.

I would still suggest a good upscaling player using the HDMI input can be superior to 480i/480p analog.
    Quote Quote  
  8. It really depends on the TV vs the upconverting player. My TV does a great job up-converting, and noise filtering.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a 50" Sony HD RPTV and there is a noticeable difference with an upconverting DVD player. I have 3 now since I just bought a Toshiba HDa2 (1080i) that upconverts very nicely. Also an OPPO & LG that I already had. You can get upconverting players for under $100 these days, so why not take full advantage or your big, beautiful display? It is true that 1080p doesn't really show itself off until you start to reach the 60"+ range as Politeken said. But immediately go out and get component, or better yet HDMI cable, composite can not handle digital HD content.
    I love children, girl children... about 16-40
    W.C. Fields
    Quote Quote