VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

I work in medical imaging and teach techniques using .avi files created by our medical software. I have recently discovered ffmpeg and can now crop and zoom the appropriate bits.

Is there a way to also slow down the video display so the students can see more detail?

I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Baldrick
    Thanks for the quick reply. I've tried using the '-r' but the resulting video still has the same length when played in WMP or VLC. GSpot reports that the output file is still 15fps (same as input) even though I used '-r 5' before the input.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Er, thanks Midzuki

Most of this is over my head. Couldn't get a file to play at all....

Anyway, I'm not sure this is what I'm after. I want to re-encode the video so I can import it into Powerpoint on different PC's.
    Quote Quote  
  4. If you want slow motion that's more than simply playing back the existing frames at a slower speed, or just repeating frames, you can check out the AviSynth function SmoothFPS():

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic303037.html
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic327121.html

SmoothFPS() creates in-between frames by analyzing motion within the video. It isn't perfect but can work pretty well with some material.

The original file is no longer available but you can see a half speed version produced by a simple Bob() and a 1/10 speed version from SmoothFPS():

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic303037.html#1534640
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, you must use avisynth or another advanced editor if you want smooth slow down. If avisynth looks too complex you can use windows movie maker to slow down it to half and export to avi or wmv.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you decide to use SmoothFPS() function, don't forget to load MVTools.dll plugin (the script examples from that thread don't include 'load plugin' line), that function uses one of the standard operations of MVTools.
    Quote Quote  
  7. If you put MVTools.dll in AviSynth's plugins folder you don't need to explicitly load it. The downside of doing this is that starting up AviSynth is slower, and it's memory footprint is larger, as all the plugins are loaded, even if they won't be used.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Easy to do. Use Videostudio 11 and select slow motion-you can set it to your desired speed. Then save as a new file.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks everyone for yourhelp. AviSynth is a bit beyond me at the mo, so I'll settle for 1/2 speed in movie maker.
    Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Update:
    Tried RAD Video Tools (Bink) which allowed me to force the frame rate. I've not used this app much, but the quality remains fine to my eye.
    Quote Quote  
  11. With AVI files you can easily change the frame rate with AviFrate. It just changes the value in the header that tells a player how long to display each frame. Of course, audio will no longer be synchronized.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi jagabo

Thanks. Following the link, the .exe fails with an error when starting up. Searching different video websites tho' I found AVIFrate101 which is also a small, standalone app that just changes framerate - perfect - thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  13. You're welcome.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Aint them players got their slowmotion features?
    Quote Quote