VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi folks,

Long time no see! Well, I have bought a HP DV2255BR notebook with a s-video TV output, but all my TV's are RCA. The video board is a Intel GMA 950 and it does not offer through the driver interface to force TV detection as many video boards allow nowadays. So, is there a way to make it work? Maybe a registry hack to create a "TV" and force the board to send signal? I have bought the right cables to a s-video input and a RCA output, but I still don't have a picture on my TV. Can somebody help?

See you later,

Aeolis
    Quote Quote  
  2. Plug in the cable, turn on the TV, then boot the computer. The computer should then detect the TV and enable TV output.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello folks,

Thank you for answering jagabo, but I have already done that and it doesn't work. Any other suggestions?

See you later,

Aeolis
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You need to set this up in display properties. Dual monitor mode with TV as the second monitor. Is this XP or Vista?

Your manual may detail the steps.

I don't have anything with an Intel 950 display chip (other than a MacMini). Menus differ Intel, ATI or NVIDIA.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello folks,

Thank you edDV I am currently running XP Pro SP2. Could you describe the steps you have mentioned more precisely. My notebook has not come with manual? at HP!

See you later,

Aeolis
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Aeolis
    Thank you edDV I am currently running XP Pro SP2. Could you describe the steps you have mentioned more precisely.
    Unfortunately, he can't. The details vary depending on the graphics card and the software version.

Start by right clicking on the desktop and selecting Properties to bring up the Display Properties dialog. Select the Settings tab. Press the Advanced button. From there it varies...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hi aeolis,

did you get s-video output to work properly on your TV?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When you say your TV's are all RCA, I assume you mean 'composite' video (yellow plug) ?

If your notebook has an s-video out like mine does (mini din) , it won't work on a composite TV input.
    Your notbook is sending an s-video signal (Chroma and Luma).

I tried this myself a while ago, and could find no way to make the notebook send a composite signal through the s-video port, even if you have an adapter cable, the TV just won't understand the signal.
    We'll be right back after these messages from Binford!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Tool Man
    When you say your TV's are all RCA, I assume you mean 'composite' video (yellow plug) ?

If your notebook has an s-video out like mine does (mini din) , it won't work on a composite TV input.
    Your notbook is sending an s-video signal (Chroma and Luma).

I tried this myself a while ago, and could find no way to make the notebook send a composite signal through the s-video port, even if you have an adapter cable, the TV just won't understand the signal.
    You can build or buy a S-Video to composite adapter. You sum Y+C with a capacitor for isolation.

Or buy one

Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello folks,

To oxente: I could not find a solution.

Does anybody has new ideas to solve the problem of intel doesn't have a force TV detection, maybe a registry hack?

See you later,

Aeolis
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Aeolis
    Hello folks,

To oxente: I could not find a solution.

Does anybody has new ideas to solve the problem of intel doesn't have a force TV detection, maybe a registry hack?

See you later,

Aeolis
    Just call HP support and ask for dual monitor instructions.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Never seen those adapters before, but then s-video is not big here in Europe, we mostly use RGB SCART.

I notice too that the poster is in Brazil. Could it be an NTSC / PAL issue?
    I believe that Brazil uses a Hybrid TV system called PAL-M, might that be an issue?
    We'll be right back after these messages from Binford!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    NTSC and PAL-M are identical for monochrome and both use a 3.58MHz color subcarrier. The only difference is the color system NTSC-M vs. PAL-M. That is set in the same advanced display properties section where dual monitor TV out is set. The exact menus differ by graphics chipset and computer manufacturer. That is why you need to consult the manual or support website for that specific model laptop. For example, HP uses Intel, ATI and NVidia graphics chipsets.
    Quote Quote