VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello all,

i have converted several videos for the iPod, but i am experiencing some strange results.

If i convert a video for the ipod using the h264 codec given by apples instructions with
    Code:
    -vcodec libx264
    iTunes tells me that this video wont be able to be played on the ipod and do not transfer it.

If i choose a standart mpeg4 video, everything seems fine, but after all, the video stops after 2 secs of playing.

I am using the actual version of ffmpeg, if you need any further information, ill give it

Thanx for helping!
    Oh! This wasn't supposed to happen...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    See my guide here:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic330839.html

Your problem is that iTunes needs H.264 in a special mp4 container with a custom uuid atom. In Windows this can be done with Nicmp4box, in Linux it can be avoided by using gtkpod-aac instead of iTunes.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hey Gmaq,

thanx for your help. This guide is awesome! I read it all and tried a few things, and i got this from the
    gtkpod tool:

m4a/m4p/m4b-Dateien werden ohne die mp4v2 Bibliothek nicht unterstützt. Sie müssen gtkpod zusammen mit der mp4v2 Bibliothek kompilieren.
    I do not think it is they way i do the converted video, i will paste you the command, instead i am starting to believe that my ffmpeg is using a not common h264 codec.

Code:
    ffmpeg -y -i video_in.mp4 -v 1 -threads 1 -vcodec libx264 -qcomp 0.6 -qmin 1 -qmax 51 -qdiff 4 -maxrate 768 -refs 1 -loop 1 -deblockalpha 0 -deblockbeta 0 -parti4x4 1 -parti8x8 1 -g 300 -me_method full -r 25 -s 320x240 -acodec libfaac -ab 96 -ar 44100 -ac 2 -f mp4 -pass 1 video_out.mp4
    On my system there is actually the following package installed:

faad2 2.0.0+cvs20040908+mp4v2+bmp-0ubuntu2 (source) in Ubuntu
    https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/faad2/2.0.0+cvs20040908+mp4v2+bmp-0ubuntu2

It doesn't work with an encoded xvid video either. This one does transfer, but also stoppps after 2 secs ...[/url]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Pixelartist,

My ability to read German is limited, but I think the problem is that you need to install "Gtkpod-aac" if you don't use the "aac" version it will only handle .mp3 files. You need the aac version with the required libraries to read and transfer .mp4 Audio and Video files.

I don't see any problems with your code, At resolutions that small I think the parti4x4 and parti8x8 commands won't really improve quality enough to be worth the slower encoding speed, but that's just my opinion.

What distro and version of Ubuntu are you using? Feisty and Gutsy have Gtkpod-aac in their repositories.

This latest generation of iPods have not been completely worked into Gtkpod yet, I'm sure they will be soon. In the meantime there is another application called "Floola" that works under Linux and Windows for iPod file transfers. Here is a link:

http://www.floola.com/modules/wiwimod/
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hello again,

i dont think this is the problem. I don't want to make sure i can transfer my videos with linux on the pod. I just want to convert videos with it

My guess is that i have some kind of miscompiled ffmpeg. Actually i am using the 7.10 Version, with manually installed codecs.
    FFmpeg version SVN-r10851, Copyright (c) 2000-2007 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
    configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-pp --enable-libvorbis --enable-libogg --enable-liba52 --enable-libdc1394 --enable-libgsm --disable-debug --enable-libx264 --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libfaad --enable-libfaac --enable-libxvid --enable-pthreads
    libavutil version: 49.5.0
    libavcodec version: 51.47.0
    libavformat version: 51.17.0
    built on Nov 8 2007 17:46:56, gcc: 4.1.3 20070929 (prerelease) (Ubuntu 4.1.2-16ubuntu2)
    As far as i read the other posts about ffmpeg, there seems to be a lot of problems with ffmpeg and the pod. I will try to find this problem and post it as soon as i have converted a full working video.

Any help is appreciated

P.S. Sorry for the german error message .. did not notice that it is in german
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    PixelArtist,
    In my experience the ONLY ffmpeg to use in Ubuntu/Debian distros is the stable ffmpeg at www.debian-multimedia.org. Add their repository to your sources.list, Install the debian-multimedia-keyring, and ffmpeg and you are good to go. That ffmpeg build has all the libraries most people ever could use. it is the ffmpeg that my guide was done with, it generally works very well in Ubuntu distros.

I've always found the Medibuntu unlocked ffmpeg from Ubuntu to be very problematic.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hey Gmaq,

the next time i reinsall my system i will do that!

But i got it running after a few modifications. Right now is playing an h264 coded video in itunes as well as on the pod! I have slight issues with mp4box now, but this will be an other thread

Thanx for your help!

Final Usage command:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -y -i input.mov -an -v 1 -threads auto -vcodec libx264 -b 500k -bt 175k -refs 1 -loop 1 -deblockalpha 0 -deblockbeta 0 -parti4x4 1 -partp8x8 1 -me full -subq 1 -me_range 21 -chroma 1 -slice 2 -bf 0 -level 30 -g 300 -keyint_min 30 -sc_threshold 40 -rc_eq 'blurCplx^(1-qComp)' -qcomp 0.7 -qmax 51 -qdiff 4 -i_qfactor 0.71428572 -maxrate 768k -bufsize 2M -cmp 1 -s 640x480 -f mp4 -pass 1 /dev/null

ffmpeg -y -i input.mov -v 1 -threads auto -vcodec libx264 -b 500k -bt 175k -refs 1 -loop 1 -deblockalpha 0 -deblockbeta 0 -parti4x4 1 -partp8x8 1 -me full -subq 6 -me_range 21 -chroma 1 -slice 2 -bf 0 -level 30 -g 300 -keyint_min 30 -sc_threshold 40 -rc_eq 'blurCplx^(1-qComp)' -qcomp 0.7 -qmax 51 -qdiff 4 -i_qfactor 0.71428572 -maxrate 768k -bufsize 2M -cmp 1 -s 640x480 -acodec libfaac -ab 96 -ar 48000 -ac 2 -f mp4 -pass 2 output.mp4
    This is the basic command i use and modify the command as needed (qcompression settings, resolution or framerate and stuff)
    Quote Quote