VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The screen for the newest computer we have decided not to turn on today.

What happened was that we turned it on, and nothing showed up on screen. we tried moving the mouse around, and we tried turning it on and off, but it still wouldn't display anything on the screen.

We had left it on for a few days prior to this event, and have only today noticed.

The CPU doesn't make the *poof* sound anymore, and the power switch stays in an amber color, when it should make a "poof" sound before going in a blue color when turned on, then when we turned the monitor on and off, it would display the logo, then it would give a window that says "No Signal".

The computer is an HP Media Center PC, with AMD 64 Live!and the LCD screen is by ACER. We've had it since July 2007.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried restarting your computer with the monitor on and plugged in?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    We disconnected the white screw from the monitor, thinking it didn't need to be plugged in

And if we had to turn it on and off, how many seconds do we have to wait before turning it back on?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, not too sure what you're talking about here...

We disconnected the white screw from the monitor, thinking it didn't need to be plugged in
    but, what i'm suggesting, if you haven't done so, is to make sure the monitor is powered up, and that it is properly plugged into the computer. Once this is done, restart the PC (with the monitor on). You should definitely see something now (at least the BIOS screen), and if the light turns amber once you OS has loaded, you likely have a driver problem.

If you see absolutely nothing, could be a connection problem.
    Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by kerrex_2006

And if we had to turn it on and off, how many seconds do we have to wait before turning it back on?
    Sounds like a DVI connector. Probably shouldn't have done that.

EVERY monitor requires (at least) 2 connections:
    1. Power
    2. Data (video)

Power is standardized on the 3-prong jack/plug combination.
    Data connection depends on the kind of monitor you have---
    A. VGA
    B. DVI
    C. HDMI
    D. other (Composite, SVGA, Component, SDI, etc)

Your monitor won't "turn on" unless both are connected and communicating (note previous post about drivers).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the LCD screen is by ACER. We've had it since July 2007.
    What exact model?

There should be a number on the back or base.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Take it back to the store if it's new. It could also be the power supply on your computer. I have seen that lots of times, you get lots of computer lights but no display. I'd try another monitor on the computer first.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What exact model?

Well, the code number is 502170101000R A
    Quote Quote  
  9. The resolution may be set too high for the monitor or the refresh rate might be too high. You might need to go into safe mode in order to straighten things out.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Alllll Righty, then.

The "logo" that the monitor displays, does it say "Acer", meaning it originates from within the Acer monitor, or does it say "HP" or perhaps "Microsoft" or "Windows"?

How many cables are coming from the monitor?

One has to be power, meaning it ultimately plugs into a wall socket. It may have a large, in-line transformer, or "brick". Or it may not. Doesn't matter.

There also must be a data cable, typically VGA (three rows of pins), or DVI, which are usually white. This Data Cable MUST be plugged into the computer, on one end, and the monitor on the other. Your video card may have multiple outlets, which may not switch automatically.

Why did you take the white one off?

Re-connect the PC as it was when it was KNOWN to be working correctly. Turn everything off, then back on again. Describe all "logos", beep patterns, test CD drives for power. Describe Monitor power light.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The "logo" that the monitor displays, does it say "Acer", meaning it originates from within the Acer monitor, or does it say "HP" or perhaps "Microsoft" or "Windows"?
    It says Acer within the monitor as in it's the first thing you see on the screen.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    when the monitor says no signal it means either the cable from the computer is not attached to the monitor or that the computer isn't on. make sure the video cable from the computer is screwed into the monitor and computer. then unplug both from the power outlet for a minute then plug them back in and turn them both on to restart the computer. describe anything that appears on the monitor and any beeps/lights from the computer.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by aedipuss
    when the monitor says no signal it means either the cable from the computer is not attached to the monitor or that the computer isn't on.
    That is not entirely accurate. I have seen it say no signal when the cable is attached and the computer was on. It turned out that the videocard was bad. The resolution could be set too high as well.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What exact model?
    Well, the code number is 502170101000R A
    That would appear to belong to the Acer AL1917 monitor.
    So we can find the manual on Acer's site.
    According to that it has a VGA connector.
    (It may also have a DVI connector).

If there's no picture on the LCD Monitor, please perform the following steps:
    1. Make sure the power indicator on the LCD Monitor is ON, all connections are secured,and the system is running on the correct timing. Refer to Chapter 3 for information on timing.
    2. Turn off the LCD Monitor and then turn it back on again. If there is still no picture,press the Adjustment Control button several times.
    3. If step 2 doesn't work, connect your PC system to another external CRT.If your PC system Functions properly with a CRT Monitor but it does not function with the LCD Monitor,the output timing of the VGA card may be out of the LCD's synchronous range. Please change to an alternative mode listed in the Standard Timing Table or replace the VGA card,and then repeat steps 1 and 2.
    And the modes include standard resolutions up to SXGA: 1280*1024
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why did you take the white one off?
    Because the CPU only had one slot, and that was for the blue screw-plug. There wasn;t any place to plug the white one in.

Though a friend who fixes computers at my office said that I should try to unplug oone periphral at a time for one minute and turn it on to see which one is causing the CPU and montior to not respond.

Do you think that would work?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A revalation: I found the problem.

Turns out it was the main cord for the CPU. What I did was I unplugged it for a minute, and then I plugged it back in, and it started up and it was working again.

Thanks everyone for providing the tips on how to fix it.

Now I just hope when my cousin comes over tomorrow, that he won't end up breaking it like he did the last one.
    Quote Quote  
  17. omg... you guys are the most patient and helpful people on the net... i thought this was a joke at first.
    Quote Quote